Under Cabinet Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMT

The standard for wiring under cabinet lighting in industrial applications is to run MC out of the wall to the Under cabinet lighting. This has been done on a few job sites but I don't know of any other way to wire them up. Unless I sleeve it through conduit but that would have to come out of the wall perfectly to get to the box. Also, does anyone know if it is a building code violation to run MC out of the wall to under cabinet lights. Does anyone else run into this problem?

electricalist

I have never had an inspector fail me for stubbed out wires for under or over cabinet lighting. I am not saying that it true but I was told that florescent lighting where the make up is in the light . this is the j box and no rough in box is necessary. Uc and oc lights can be troublesome as they get slimmer by design. If you can I would set a j box and single wire from there to each light. Strap you mc at the height it needs to be for the cabinet.cabinet guys know what to do.make sure they have some slack if your not positive you height is right. Placement of the j box is important. Will these for sure what type of light . are uc and of switched together or separate.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The standard for wiring under cabinet lighting in industrial applications is to run MC out of the wall to the Under cabinet lighting. This has been done on a few job sites but I don't know of any other way to wire them up. Unless I sleeve it through conduit but that would have to come out of the wall perfectly to get to the box. Also, does anyone know if it is a building code violation to run MC out of the wall to under cabinet lights. Does anyone else run into this problem?

If an authority having jurisdiction turned you down then ask for a code violation. I have seen hundreds of display cases done with either mc, or flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.