under cabinet lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Article 90.1

I had a meeting with a local lighting rep. two days ago to get trained on LED and induction lighting, etc. Kichler makes a nice copy of a fluorescent direct wire fixture that allows us to just bring a 120v. feed into the back of each light.

http://www.kichler.com:80/consumer/products_page/portlet_catalog/products/search_for_family?portlet_catalogfamily_id=DW_LED&portlet_catalog{actionForm.productId}=12052WH

TobyD

I've installed the little LED type track lighting and they work very good.Only problem is you need a flat bottom to mount them .Some of the pre-fab cabinets have dividers that prottrude an inch of so below the shelf.

I like for the cabinets to have a false bottom with a cavity .Then you can route the wiring as necessary and locate the lights and receptacles flush in the bottom board.Since there is a cavity there is no exposed wiring visible.A few of my builders do this and the bottom board is screwed in place after I locate my electrical then the cabinet maker finishes it out with trim.

The reason for mouting all the items flush is to help keep all the backsplash patterns from being interuppted.We have also used strip plug mould too.But some areas aren't allowing the strip moulding now due to the TR's.

TobyD

Thanks for the info.I haven't seen any of it.But I've asked for it from my main supplier and they don't carry the TR type.But, when I cross the state line they TR's required .I'm going to have to purchase some to complete a project inside a kitchen.I thought surley there was a provider for the product mentioned. Thank you again.

Teaspoon

I seem to get alot of kitchen remodels. I usually suggest (and install) 4" cans with reflective trims 24" out from walls (12" out from upper cab) for countertop illumination. Works well.

I have always tried to avoid uc lighting because whether they were hard wired or plug in type they just always seemed to be a PITA and I am never truly satisfied with the wire routing and attachment etc. The inspectors and the HO's were always satisfied the times I've done uc lighting over the years, but like I said, I want a better way.

As more and more customers want uc lighting I find myself here, at the fountain of knowledge and experience, asking for help, suggestions, tips, etc.

Thanks in advance

I would rather install recessed lighting over counter top.
It does a good job and can be pit on a dimmer with no problem.
Most customers like recessed lights really well when they see the finished product.I hate to do under counter lighting it is usually such a pain.
But if that is what the customer wants ,that is what we do.

electricmanscott

I would rather install recessed lighting over counter top.
It does a good job and can be pit on a dimmer with no problem.
Most customers like recessed lights really well when they see the finished product.I hate to do under counter lighting it is usually such a pain.
But if that is what the customer wants ,that is what we do.

What is wrong with you guys? Under CABINET lighting is a money maker.

Not only that but it is essential in a well designed kitchen. There are so many easy to install options available there is no good reason from and electrical contractors point of view, NOT to install them other than sheer laziness.

Recessed lighting at the counters edge is only part of a good lighting design.

rbwsparky

LED undercabinet lighting is a moneymaker. I make spacers to keep them in line. The type we use are Tokystar. They are dimmable and low voltage. 1/2 inch drywall screws to mount. They are cut to length and individual lights can be removed or repositioned. These are the only way to fly.

robbione

The only problem I have with Tokistar is finding a location for the transformer and the magnetic ones are rather large.
Recently I saw a demo of an LED light bar. Similar installation to a fluorescent - line volt to the fixture, comes in various lengths. Juno makes one, but it's not dimmable. Philips/Alkco makes a fixture called Aris which is dimmable.
I agree with others that these are a money maker and LED technology is the buzzword around here.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Try to have only one wire to each fixture if at all possible. This box has sixteen individual wires run to sixteen luminaires and two switchlegs. We stuck the j-box behind the dryer.

View attachment 4327

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Does this Jbox behind the dryer require an access panel, or will you sheetrock over it and keep it hidden?

It seems evident from the picture that the box will protrude through the drywall and be covered by a four-gang blank. The code is clear that burying junction boxes behind drywall is prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.