Under Cabinet Low Voltage Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricianJeff

I just finished roughing in a complete kitchen remodel. Homeowner has now decided he wants under cabinet low voltage lighting. I have never done this before so I am looking for some assistance and suggestions.

The kitchen is directly above the service in the unfinished basement. No drywall yet. I'm looking at 4 fixtures total switched at one location. I'm thinking I should run and coil the wire about where the lights will go. Let the cabinet guy dig out the wires and bring through the lower lip of the cabinets. Transformers would land near or on the service panel below.

Am I headed the right direction on this? Any tips, tricks, sugestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

electricianjeff

iwire

Staff member
ElectricianJeff said:
Am I headed the right direction on this? Any tips, tricks, sugestions would be appreciated.

Any of the wiring you run concealed must be a wiring method found in chapter 3 of the NEC.

In other words NM, AC, MC, EMT, FMC etc.

You can not run the cable that comes with the lights concealed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
And furthermore, how would you terminate the Chapter 3 wire method to a low volt (assume you mean puck) light. If it is concealed then the slice is concealed and not in a box. I believe that is a violation, esp. since the ones I use don't have chapter 3 wire attached to the fixture but use fixture wire.

stickboy1375

IMO, use a fixture with a transformer built in, like these.....

NSL_Copyrighted_Image_xenon_task_app1.jpg

http://www.nslusa.com/xenontask.html

ElectricianJeff

Thanks for the replies and the link is quite helpful also.

I was thinking that since it was "low voltage" I could run the wires concealed, transformers in exposed areas underneath kitchen and wires terminated in the fixtures themselves. i.e. Doorbells

Like I said, I hadn't encountered this before. When my former partner and I wired new homes he always did the kitchens and I always did the bathrooms, it was our system. I should of paid more attention.

I come here to learn and I just did. I think something along the lines of those with the builtin transformer as contained in the link is a better option for me.

Thanks again,

electricianjeff

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
They also make them line voltage which I find as a better option. Kichler makes them and they are easy to install.

mickeyrench

l v u c l

l v u c l

does anyone now if there is a factory cable that you can use to daisy chain them that can pass inspection in a high rise building ?

thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I think kichler makes one uc lights that has modular plugs at the ends specifically for going from one to the other-- but it is not to be concealed. You wire one then use the modular cord to wire to the next unit and so on.

sump

We just did a good size kitchen and the cabinets had 2 "breaks" in them, counter,Sink,counter, Stove, counter. We ran 14/2 and stubbed out to all three locations so they will be outside the drywall. junctioned @ the panel area the transformer and switch.

mickeyrench said:
does anyone now if there is a factory cable that you can use to daisy chain them that can pass inspection in a high rise building ?

thanks

I have seen this before...just make sure you follow the installation instructions. The manufacturer of the one I saw (the name of the manufacturer eludes me at the moment), instructions were that the cable had to be surface mounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.