Under cabinets lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptviggi

I went on a service call today and ran into something I've never seen before.
Here's the short story. The customer has switched receptacles inside his cabinets where low voltage transformers are plugged into. These transformers control the 3 puck lights each. 1 set of puck lights were flickering and that's why I was called.
Here is where it gets goofy. If I unplugged 1 transformer, not only would those corresponding puck lights go out, but also the set on the other side of the kitchen. I checked all connections, transformers, lamps etc. but I don't know why the lights are interconnected. What am I missing?
Again, here is how they are wired. 3 receptacles in 3 cabinets, fished into 1 box in basement. Power comes from switch in kitchen also fished into basement box. 1 transformer into each receptacle. all 110v power is good and reads good. Even the low voltage tests out.
Why would 1 set of lights be dependent on anothers transformer?

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
Sounds to me that part of the circuit is wired in series. That would explain the flickering and dependace upon another transformer to be plugged in to work.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
I'll bet that you'll find the problem in the junction box in the basement

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree, sounds as though the circuit is wired in series.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would think if this system was wired correctly before and just started acting up you may have a loose neutral somewhere before the feed enters the box.

You need to see if you get 120 volts on those receptacles with a load on the circuit. Then go from there.

It may be a series hookup -- who knows....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
I would think if this system was wired correctly before and just started acting up you may have a loose neutral somewhere before the feed enters the box.

You need to see if you get 120 volts on those receptacles with a load on the circuit. Then go from there.

It may be a series hookup -- who knows....

Dennis, a loose or incorrectly wired neutral could likely be the reason for the series.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree but the statements made were a "series hookup" or "wired in series" implying they were wired in series (in the JB).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
I agree but the statements made were a "series hookup" or "wired in series" implying they were wired in series (in the JB).

Well, that would have to be the case whether the neutral were lost in the jbox or the connections were made wrong in the jbox, the series would have to start or end at some point where the conductors come together.

Wired in series can mean deliberate or a mistake.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Roger, My point is that when I read your and benmin posts I had the impression that someone deliberately (perhaps because of lack of knowledge) wired the recep. to the transformers in series.

I was more or less just trying to clarify. I realize what you are saying and of course that neutral can be loose in some other location.

Sorry for the confusion.

cptviggi

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

First off, I have just recently discovered this forum and I think it's just totally awesome. You guys are great!!
I appreciate all of your comments. The wiring was in parrallel as in everthing is nutted together in the basement, provided I didn't lose a connection somewhere. Also, I had 120v at each plug, but I never checked it with a load. A good friend and mentor seemed to think it is a polarity issue but I swore I checked that too. I will let you all know what I found out. Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.