under counter outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

normbac

Homeowner wants U/L lights and also wants her S/A outlets mounted under over head cabinet in kitchen. I have roughed 12-2 on one side & 14-2 on other (span is 24 in.) I was going to wiremold close to wall an outlet strip & protect with gfci cb then wiremold further out fot U/L light. I always mount U/L lights but have never been asked to put S/A with them, there are numerous cabinets and I have to satisfy S/A codes 2ft - 4ft
Would like to hear other options if any. TIA

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I would be sure to direct-wire the UC lights, I wouldn't cord-and-plug-connect them. I'm not clear on which way you're going from the description.

normbac

georgestolz said:
I would be sure to direct-wire the UC lights, I wouldn't cord-and-plug-connect them. I'm not clear on which way you're going from the description.
I am going to direct wire. The issue is that I have a 24 inch wide surface. From the wall outward I would have to mount outlets and light. To be code compliant the romex would have to be covered which is why I was thinking of wiremold for either the light or outlet strip.

normbac

mdshunk said:
Unless you have local rules with more clear language, that's simply not true.

We do have local rules here have not checked for the county where I am doing the job, but I still from a design standpoint would not want to see exposed nm on the bottom of a kitchen cupboard.

stickboy1375

normbac said:
but I still from a design standpoint would not want to see exposed nm on the bottom of a kitchen cupboard.

You think many people peek under there? with all the other stuff trying to be crammed up under the cabinet, Exposed NM would be the least of my worries... ;)

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If you don't think that NM exposed under an upper is exposed to physical damage, come down here and watch me chop veggies.

stickboy1375

480sparky said:
If the receps are facing down on the bottom of the cabinet, how are you going to plug anything in without looking under there?

It only bothers normbac, and I don't think he needs to be plugging in the coffee pot for the lady...;)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
When this kind of discussion happens, I think back to the time Al Hildenbrand mentioned to me that in his neck of the woods, island receptacles inside drawered cabinets are usually wired in NM without any protection. Since the drawers are not usually removed, then it's not really exposed to physical damage, so why not?

Sounded reasonable enough, and months later, I figured I'd give it a shot. Actually, I think I told somebody else they could, I forget. At any rate, contrary to our custom of flexing them in, the installer just ran NM to the box inside a drawered cabinet.

The inspector popped the drawer out, saw the NM, and wrote it up. I said, "But it's not really subject to physical damage, is it?"

"It is once the drawer is full of utensils, isn't it?" He replied. I redid the installation in flex.

So, I say, wiremold your installation and nobody can (or will) say much about it. :)

Occupation
Inspector
Photo please...

Photo please...

normbac said:
Homeowner wants U/L lights and also wants her S/A outlets mounted under over head cabinet in kitchen. I have roughed 12-2 on one side & 14-2 on other (span is 24 in.) I was going to wiremold close to wall an outlet strip & protect with gfci cb then wiremold further out fot U/L light. I always mount U/L lights but have never been asked to put S/A with them, there are numerous cabinets and I have to satisfy S/A codes 2ft - 4ft
Would like to hear other options if any. TIA

If you would or could, I would like to see a photo or two of this when you are finished.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What's an under counter outlet? Are the receptacles going under the edge of the counter top?

cadpoint

normbac said:
We do have local rules here have not checked for the county where I am doing the job, but I still from a design standpoint would not want to see exposed nm on the bottom of a kitchen cupboard.

I like it /\

Get with the cabinet installer,and the sheet rock man (if not previous said), shake their hands, ask what their favorite refreshments are and ask for the bottom edge of cabinet and ask if he can drill a hole for you, in that piece, or call when he ready to set them, He'll probably drill it for you.
You should secure the wire / circuit to the exact point and height desired.

The rocker just has to understand theres no float about it.

Be sure to ask if the Cabinet man or GC can strike a line and ask if measuring from the ceiling or the floor if floor is unfinished.

normbac

480sparky said:
If the receps are facing down on the bottom of the cabinet, how are you going to plug anything in without looking under there?
Im not, I think it is a terrible idea but the HO is eccentric wealthy and demanding not to mention anal they are wiling to pay $ and they have a just do it attitude there is the architect, lighting designer, interior decorator, GC, and homeowner giving advice of what they want without a clue of how to do it. Plans called for wall mount but like everything in this house daily changes are in order. I come in the next day and get info like we need to move those lights the decorator decided to go with 12 inch crown mold instead! etc. etc. The GC says homes of this size 8K plus the owners are always changing the design. Will bid much higher next time but for now thank God for all the change orders. My original post was to see if anyone has done this and how? Exposed nm? They would have a heart attack:D

Status
Not open for further replies.