Under deck lights (Water Proof housing and trim)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I've got a customer that had recessed lights installed under their deck.
The deck is made of regular deck boards with regular deck boards screwed to the bottom . The water runs right through it.

I need to remove the lights and replace them with a water proof light. Do you have any suggestions?

It's a very large home with about 20 lights that are getting wet.
I found a thread on this same subject from 4 years ago. It seems their was no solution than. I thought maybe their might be a new product for this purpose.
All the wet rated recessed lights I have seen, are designed for water coming from below not from above.

The problem is the 6 inch holes are already their

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I would tell them to look up a Sunspace dealer and ask them about their aluminum decking, water tight decking, might be a good option. Might be hard to get lights like that and probably not cheap.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe you can fit a plastic bucket of some kind over the can. Perhaps a 5" can in the existing 6" hole will allow space.

Added: What about a thin coat of liquid Flex-seal on a regular can? LED bulbs could help keep the heat to a minimum.

retirede

Can't tell because there is no information, but it looks like only the trim is wet location. The OP needs the complete fixture to be wet rated, like a wall pack.

-Hal

I thought it was a complete unit, but after looking again, I agree with you - not enough info.

Buck Parrish

They installed regular recessed can lights under a deck . The only thing above the lights are deck boards. The area the trim is attached to is also deck boards mounted under the joices holding the above deck boards up .
Larry's answer sounded okay. thanks- except of course you have the j box etc... all getting rained on.

Status
Not open for further replies.