Under what circumstances is it legal to fuse(no breaker) line voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

Is there ever a time where it's legal to use inline fuses for wires carrying line voltage(120vac)?

I've asked about this before, and there is another case where I need a 120V signal to power a relay, but there is no easy way to power it from a breaker.

Best I could do is "tap" off of the feeders with smaller wire and install an inline fuse to protect it. But this doesn't sound very legal.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think the concern is more of a physical one than electrical. How would you connect a fuse-holder, and how would you mount it?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
As long as the fuse is rated for the line voltage, you can do it.

It is how control voltage is derived in many motor starters and control panels. Full voltage coil and a fuse to limit (open) current in case of a fault.

Unless your "inline" means someting mounted on a wall without an enclosure around it. ;)

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Is there ever a time where it's legal to use inline fuses for wires carrying line voltage(120vac)?

I've asked about this before, and there is another case where I need a 120V signal to power a relay, but there is no easy way to power it from a breaker.

Best I could do is "tap" off of the feeders with smaller wire and install an inline fuse to protect it. But this doesn't sound very legal.

Usually a feeder tap goes to a fused disconnect. But to my knowledge it isn't strictly required.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
there is no general requirement to provide a fuse or a circuit breaker in any circuit. there is a requirement to provide over current and short circuit protection.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
there is no general requirement to provide a fuse or a circuit breaker in any circuit. there is a requirement to provide over current and short circuit protection.
Right. One or the other is fine. The biggest challenge is usually finding a suitable (legal) way to tap off of an existing line.

Status
Not open for further replies.