Underground cable locating eq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjaniga

My company has just started taking care of an agricultural nursery, the company that serviced them in the past has gone out of business. I've been told that in the past 12 months they have had 16 underground breaks in there secondary lines, so far we havent had the need for cable locators or break locators, but it sounds like I need it now to keep this account. Do any of you guys have one that you would recommend?

sjaniga

Re: Underground cable locating eq.

Bennie, I've been told that all the underground follows the beaten path and the breaks seem to occur where the tractors travel the most. Keep in mind this is the largest hoteculture firm in the united states, one complex covers over 400 acres with poly houses as far as the eye can see and everything is underground (direct burial).

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

An option would be to get a TDR, this tester sends a signal down the wire, measures the time to the break and back, then you know the distance. You have to know the velocity of propagation, they are very accurate and availble from many sources.
Look at AEMC or Biddle or Fluke

bennie

Esteemed Member

Instead of continuing to search for the break how about trying a deeper ditch. Use URD cable.

flightline

I have had great luck with 3M Dynatel for locating purposes. I have an 800 series analog locator that was great, but is no longer made. It was used extensively by the utilities some time ago, but has now been replaced by digital. So, I went digital and purchased thier 2273 digital locator. It has a fault locating frame for locating cable breaks, but I haven't used it. It has a 60 hZ. setting and can do cable depth by just pushing a button.

Tom mentioned that a TDR would be good as well. I have used both the Riser Bond and the new 3M 940 TDRs.

I have always had good luck with 3M. They are pricey, but that's not always the determining factor for me.

Just so you know, these are instruments that started out their life being designed for the communications industry, but are being sucessfully applied to the electrical industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.