underground camera wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwhj

Camers mounted outside on a pole. Is there a required depth/instalation for the camera wiring from the pole to the control? I noticed that on one of Mike's forums that it was stated that communicition wiring is not addressed in 300.5.

del91574

18" for LV powered units, or at minimum for the CATV wiring. The power would differ if it was coming from a class 1 source or not.

kwired

Electron manager
Communications wiring is not mentioned in 300.5, but is not omitted by 300.1 unless modified by other articles.

I have not found any other article that gives us cover requirements for communications circuits or one that exempts this from 300.5.

That said many do tend to disregard 300.5 as a requirement for communications circuits.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Camers mounted outside on a pole. Is there a required depth/instalation for the camera wiring from the pole to the control? I noticed that on one of Mike's forums that it was stated that communicition wiring is not addressed in 300.5.

Beside the depth, the wire / cable has to be rated for wet conditions to be used underground, even if it is in conduit, and has to be rated for direct burial if it isn't.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Coax article is 820, per 90.3 chapter 8 requirements are not subject to general requirements in chapters 1-7 unless there is a specific reference in chapter 8. There is no burial depth requirement for coax, damaging this is not going to cause an issue with fire.

Having said that, most would expect an electrical conduit to be 18 or 24" and thats what I would suggest.

kwired

Electron manager
Coax article is 820, per 90.3 chapter 8 requirements are not subject to general requirements in chapters 1-7 unless there is a specific reference in chapter 8. There is no burial depth requirement for coax, damaging this is not going to cause an issue with fire.

Having said that, most would expect an electrical conduit to be 18 or 24" and thats what I would suggest.

90.3. Thanks, I thought 300.5 did not apply myself but was not finding anything to support the idea.

MAK

If it is conduit I would think it would need to be below the frost line to keep it from damaging the cable?

WIMaster

I do not think it applies to cameras, but look at table 830.12 for possible guidelines.

esobocinski

If it is conduit I would think it would need to be below the frost line to keep it from damaging the cable?

Nope. Here in SE Michigan the frost line is 42 inches, but we have the same electrical and communications burial depths as everywhere else for both conduit or direct burial. If it's rated for wet conditions, it's good enough for frozen wet conditions.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... If it's rated for wet conditions, it's good enough for frozen wet conditions.
While that would be code compliant it is not a true statement if you are working with rigid conduit or concrete encased non-metallic conduit. I have replaced conductors that were damaged by the "frozen wet conditions" a number of times. With the rigid or concrete encased raceways, when the water freezes, the expansion puts a large crushing force on the conductors and can damage the insulation and in the case of fiber, break the glass. In one case the freezing and thawing actual broke a 3 pair underground phone cable with a gopher sheild cable apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.