Underground communications wire. Best practice

fastline

Occupation
Engineer
I don't usually go underground with communications but looks like some Cat6 will need to go in underground conduit. Curious what the best practice is? Being a "wet location", I am not sure if gel filled cable will be required?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't usually go underground with communications but looks like some Cat6 will need to go in underground conduit. Curious what the best practice is? Being a "wet location", I am not sure if gel filled cable will be required?

I am pretty sure there is gel filled cat 6 cable listed for both direct burial and wet locations. There is no reason it has to be gel filled though.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I used a Belden CAT5e rated for that application a number of years ago, but the part number I have is no longer in existence.
It didn't have a gel in it, but white hand cream like substance that was very easy to clean off compared to some of the gels in other cables.

Birken Vogt

I have seen many applications with ordinary old Cat 5 in conduit underground working fine.

This is California though where our conduits mostly stay dry.

Cat 6 direct bury is in stock at my SH's DC. Cut to length to order.

I always use DB when I go anyplace that could have water.

If I leave a building to another building where there could be a ground potential difference, I try to use fiber or Ubiquiti, though.