Underground pull box

JDW1307

Occupation
Electrical superintendent
I have a question about underground pull boxes. The engineer on the project has been no help. We have 12-4” sch 40 pvc with 4-750kcmil with one 500kcmil. This is feeding a 4000 amp switch. Any info would be great. I do understand the code on pull box sizing with the 8x rule. However, I feel that there should be a way larger underground pull box installed for any maintenance and or repair. Thanks again.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 8X is the code minimum. It is useless for pulling in and out of that box. Even for splices within the box it's very tight with 750's. I would opt for a minimum of 48" unless you're 100% sure that you will just be pulling through the box.

Welcome to the Forum :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Look into Quazite and Old Castle precast

Ask the engineer to come assist
That would be a great new code section:

Stupid designs - where an electrical contractor must install electrical equipment or installations that are poorly engineered or designed, the electrician may require the designer or engineer to assist with the installation. For outside installations, the electrician is encouraged to schedule the installation on a cold, rainy or otherwise miserable day

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do they provide sizing? We have used them when the box is specified.
It's been awhile but I think Old Castle does, don't remember Quazite doing it, I think we specified sizes to them

JDW1307

Occupation
Electrical superintendent
And what is your intended use of the pull box (splicing, pull through) or is it just to satisfy the 360° rule?
There is a situation on the project where the first design was approved. Now the owners have decided to sell the adjacent land that are proposed route was running through. Trying to satisfy this design/owner mistake.