UNDERGROUND SERVICE LATERAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 100amp new service to be supplied by the local municipality for a 50x40 metal pull barn that will be added to existing single family dwelling. I have not talked yet with the local municipality on what they will be providing as far as meter base, disconnect etc.
But---I have a question that I hope some folks could clear up for me if I have to do what I think.
The owner is assuming that the existing utility pole that serves the existing dwelling will be used for the new 100amp service to the pull barn also.
(If the municipality does not put a new pole and extend the existing AC service to an area near the new pull barn)--------the cable run will be 370 feet to the pull barn.
If I have to run 370feet, and I use conduit for the service feed raceway, are pull boxes required underground?
According to the NEC, every 50feet of conduit run and or 360 deg of bends, pull boxes are required.
Article 300-6b (IN DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE EARTH.)--indicates ferrous or nonferrous raceways, cable, boxes, fittings, supports, elbows etc., can be used.
Article 370-29 indicates pull, outlet and conduit bodies can be rendered accessible without rmoving any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to used to establish the finished grade.
I assume that noncohesive material in this article means sand, light aggregate etc.
Can you help confirm my findings and possibly assist?
I hope to use direct burial but if not possible, conduit may need to be run.
Also, voltage drop has been taken into account due to the long run.
I will be using 2 inch NMC, 4/0 ungrounded and derated neutral.
Service, 120/240v 1Ph

Any help will be appreciated.
thank you in advance

Jim

bphgravity

Re: UNDERGROUND SERVICE LATERAL

The NEC does not specify a maximum distance that a raceway can be installed before a pull-box or junction-box must be installed. However, strain on the conductors and conductor insulation, and for ease of the pull, one or more pull-boxes may be desired.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Re: UNDERGROUND SERVICE LATERAL

I dont know how the POCO in your area operates, but in my area they would set a pole near the barn and install the service lateral to the meter can which is customer owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.