underground splice of lamp post UF

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerLimited

How advisable and viable if at all is an underground splice of UF cable (that has a ground fault, near the post I would bet) supplying a residential outside lamp post ? (a tree incident banged the lamp post pretty good, and may have driven post downward enough to damage the UF cable causing a ground fault. In any case, there is a ground fault somewhere in the secion of cable between the house and the lamp post).

Are 'underground splice' products reasonably practical and reliable and compliant ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They work well if you follow the instructions. We prefer the strecher type which are about 12" long so you may remove a section of damaged cable. Stretcher type is on the right in the photo, it basically gives you more cable to work with.

mediawebserver

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I didn't end up using them, but a couple weeks ago I purchased some splices that were self-soldering, sort of. They looked like butt splices, but you put the wire in, apply heat from a gun or blow-dryer and the solder/flux would melt around the wire. Three of those, plus cover it with shrink-tubing and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.