Undersized thermal protection for motors

darekelec

The new motor has a service factor of 1.15 . (Info is covered by a shipping sticker)
Am I correct to size OL at :
76x1.15= 87.4
So the value of OL should not be higher than 87.4 ?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
If a nameplate says
20 hp motor
76 amps
1.15 service factor
What’s the max value of OL?
Service factor "refers to the capacity of a motor to operate efficiently beyond its rated capacity for short periods."
IDK what short periods are. 15 minutes, 60? maybe.
24/7? No.
I've seen the 1.25 SF included for irrigation wells. I was usually there because the motor smoke had escaped.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Not quite.

Service factor is a continuous rating, and basically describes the level you can operate a motor at continuously if you disregard all the other features that go into the horsepower rating.

kwired

Electron manager
Thermal overloads have an inherent +/- 1% repeat accuracy, that's why. If we do a quick math there, 56A setting would mean the tripping amps will be 1.15 X 56 = 64.4. But because of the inherent reproducibility of 1%, the thermal overload needs 64.4A X 1.01 = 65.044A ->thermal overload doesn't trip at just 65A! If your current meter also has an indication error of +/- 10%. 65A could be just 60A, it couldn't be 71.5A since the thermal overload didn't trip. As said by the person above me, small things matter, we're in a real world. If you want a tighter protection, set your thermal overload lower than the expected overload.
There is also a time factor in the trip curve.

Motor overloads are intended to have similar characteristics as the motor they are protecting. A small overload takes time for heat to build up to damaging levels in the motor therefore a small overload should take similar time before the overload protection opens the circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
That sure makes it code legal, as odd as it is to have such a wide variation in current for the "same" motor.
Look at speed rating - it is an 8 pole motor and the Baldor motor has a pretty low power factor marked on nameplate.

I take back what I said earlier that there was no way they were same HP, I was presuming typical 2 to 4 pole motors when I said that.

kwired

Electron manager
Service factor "refers to the capacity of a motor to operate efficiently beyond its rated capacity for short periods."
IDK what short periods are. 15 minutes, 60? maybe.
24/7? No.
I've seen the 1.25 SF included for irrigation wells. I was usually there because the motor smoke had escaped.
One right across road from where I live was calculated to need a 125 HP motor when they converted to electric, that was maybe about 12 years ago. I explained to owner POCO wants soft start on anything above 100 HP, he got back to me and said they are changing sprinkler package and that 100 HP should be fine. When we were all done with the 100 HP install, it was drawing too much, but still within the SF. I warned him this would likely shorten life of that motor. So far it is still going though. I'm sure if it were something that ran year round it maybe would have failed by now. Of course you do know that these can and do run 24/7 at times for a couple months in the warmest part of the year.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Look at speed rating - it is an 8 pole motor and the Baldor motor has a pretty low power factor marked on nameplate.

I take back what I said earlier that there was no way they were same HP, I was presuming typical 2 to 4 pole motors when I said that.
I applied various PF and efficiency to the original motor and came up with 20HP! Imagine that. Eff lower with PF higher than replacement.

kwired

Electron manager
Anybody may want to take a hit on this question?

Thank you for other answers. They are very informative.
If you using manufacturer charts for melting alloy units you simply use nameplate FLA and make selection from the chart, at least that is normal for service factor of 1.15 or 1.25. A motor with SF of 1.0 they often tell you to multiply nameplate amps by .90 then use that number to make a selection from the chart.

If you have an overload with a dial for selecting setting you normally match that to nameplate. again with a SF of 1.0 you may need to multiply by .90 and then use that result.

kwired

Electron manager
I applied various PF and efficiency to the original motor and came up with 20HP! Imagine that. Eff lower with PF higher than replacement.
Seems like it would be an expensive motor up front for anything belt driven, which OP said it was a belt driven blower.

darekelec

Based on your advice I conclude that max overload would be F104C
Dialed down a bit. Starter has a small white dial (above red reset handle) that can be set between 90 to 110 (I assume percent value of thermals)

Attachments

• IMG_0625.jpeg
    IMG_0625.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0624.jpeg
    IMG_0624.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

kwired

Electron manager
Based on your advice I conclude that max overload would be F104C
Dialed down a bit. Starter has a small white dial (above red reset handle) that can be set between 90 to 110 (I assume percent value of thermals)
Not all that familiar with GE. There is likely instructions on those labels somewhere that tells how to set that dial.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
You would know. i only know what I’ve read and based on experiences.

What are the other factors? Ambient?

My understanding is that the 'horsepower rating' includes things such as starting and pull-up torque requirements, allowed ambient temperature, allowed operating voltage range, etc.

Service factor means take away all of your headroom/tolerance/margin of error but if you run at rating * SF the motor will remain below rated temperature.

I just did a Google search and found several references to the 'short time operation' definition. I'm going to have to dig out my copy of MG1 and double check.

Jonathan

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Max size of heaters is per nameplate amps. No issue going smaller.
But larger motor nameplate will require larger overload heaters regardless of load amperes FLA less than nameplate FLA per code and would be a possible NEC violation

kwired

Electron manager
430.32(A)(1)...selected to trip or shall be rated at no more than...

Overloads can be smaller.
Not a NEC violation to under protect the motor.

But let's just say that if OP's motors were loaded to 20 HP of output the one will need higher setting than the other if you don't want it to trip. This is all about efficiency and power factor differences even though mechanical output is the same. And the HP rating is the mechanical output rating.