Understanding 250.80 with my installation

DarkKent980

Occupation
Electrician
I’m trying to fully understand how to ground/bond my 400A Service rack trough.

The layout is as follows:

One 600A Meter base fed via a lateral XFMR/utility.

x4 600KCMIL Cu conductors w/ x1 1/0 AWG Cu GEC.

Load side of the meter base the conducters will go through a nipple, to an overhead trough. Dimensions are 6’x8”x8”.

Inside the trough both service phase conductors and the service neutral will individually feed x3 100A main disconnect switches via a 4-hole Polaris tap for each service phase conductor and the service neutral.

Now it’s been brought to my attention that I need to apply code article (2020) NEC 250.80, however I am very confused as to how I would apply this code.

In basic electrical theory (in my mind) I want to bring my EGC’s off each disconnect and bond them to my trough so as to have it bonded/protect load side of an OCPD. But based on 250.80, I am supposed to bond my trough to the service neautral. Can anyone help me better understand this code and how to apply it to my installation.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Any metallic service raceway or enclosure needs to be bonded. A common method of bonding a raceway such as yours is to bond it to the neutral.
(If you have metallic nipples you need to review 250.92)

DarkKent980

Occupation
Electrician
Any metallic service raceway or enclosure needs to be bonded. A common method of bonding a raceway such as yours is to bond it to the neutral.
(If you have metallic nipples you need to review 250.92)
So my nipples between the trough and my meter can and each of my disconnects is PVC. How would I bond my 600 KCMIL neutral to the trough? And do I really do it ahead of all of my disconnects?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would bond it with a 2/0 connected to your neutral or route the neutral thru a lug or a stud kerney bolted to my wireway.
1693271584505.jpeg