Understanding HUD?s UPCS Protocol for Inspecting Electrical Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

millelec

I've dealt with HUD inspectors coming thru our powerplant since it's the sole source of power for several residential highrises in a housing complex. I like the idea of springing 70E on them, since they do indeed utililize this checklist. is a massive pain in the rear since we're in and out of disconnects while trouble shooting, so have had to re-educate ourselves to carry zip ties so can 're-secure' the disconnect when done w/job. progress, I guess. :roll:

hurk27

The only question I have is on the first disconnect is, how is it not secured when you have to open it with a screw driver if the handle is in the on position? the lock only prevents it from being opened this way, but in the list it say's:
While inspecting electrical equipment the
inspector will not touch or move the “cut‐off”
handle.
And:
The Compilation Bulletin defines secured as
requiring a tool, key, cutters, etc. to open the
cover.
(i.e., It cannot be opened with a bare hand.)

So how did he open it, and you can see the spring for the safety latch's?

It seems to indicate in the PDF that all they open is the front cover door? that makes no sense. in all but the panels, the only PPE would be for opening of the timers or first disconnects, but as long as the dead fronts are on, wheres the hazard? it doesn't look like they want anything taken apart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.