Unique Structure

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Looking at a new 3 story building that's being built via mass timber. Anyone ever been involved with this type of building?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Looking at a new 3 story building that's being built via mass timber. Anyone ever been involved with this type of building?
Not I, but five or so years ago I went to a talk by an architectural firm that was getting into designing all wood multistory buildings. It was pretty interesting.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
What do you mean by mass timber? I've inspected several multi story wood framed buildings.
See, e.g.:

"Mass timber buildings are constructed with large pre-manufactured, multilayered, solid wood panels resulting in solid timber floors and walls typically ranging from 5 to 12 inches in thickness. . . ."

Cheers, Wayne

andyman

As a side note, Wifi will preform very poorly with all that dense material. Might want to suggest lots of CAT6 cabling if you are in charge of low volt too.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Large timber-framed buildings have been constructed for years! Centuries! Look at older barns, with 2-3 levels. Churches and movie theaters, although not timber-framed, sometimes frame the attic/roof as if it was a large bridge to get that pillar-free interior
!

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Large timber-framed buildings have been constructed for years!
OK, but the OP is not about timber framed buildings.

To probably oversimplify, you can think of a progression from timber frame to light wood frame to mass timber. In that if you have a rectangular area of the structure (wall or floor), in a timber frame you'd have a handful of large structural members maybe 8' on center; in a light wood frame you'd have repetitive smaller wooden members 16" - 24" o.c.; and in a mass timber structure it would just be solid wood 5" or more thick.

Cheers, Wayne

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
GlueLam's are very prevalent in the US, as with other engineered wood products. What's relatively new in the US is the Cross Laminated Timber. I kind of equate it to giant plywood. It's made out of 2x lumber in multiple layers, each layer at 90 degrees to the last.

The other element that's new is the Building Code adding new provisions to allow taller buildings built of primarily wood. Prior to the current IBC type IV construction was known as Heavy Timber, the term Mass Timber was added and is defined by IBC as:

MASS TIMBER. Structural elements of Type IV construction primarily of solid, built-up, panelized or engineered wood products that meet minimum cross-section dimensions of Type IV construction.

Pretty cool in my opinion, I hope I get to see it in my lifetime...
Figure+1.png ICC+Code++Diagrams_Business+Mar+2018_atelierjones.jpg

Attachments

• Figure+1.png
    Figure+1.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 2