Unistrut as a raceway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

factoryrat

We are installing some fluorescent lighting. We are using 1-5/8? x 1-5/8? Unistrut to hang the lights off of. We also want to use the Unistrut as a raceway. Does the NEC allow this? How many #12 AWG ?THHN conductors can I put in the Unistrut if the code does allows this? Can this be calculated? Where in the NEC would I find this information.

Thank you

mdshunk

I've used "strut type channel raceway" only one time. It has a "cap" that you clip on sorta like wiremold 3000, and the strut has no holes in it. You need to drill your own holes (at least the stuff I used). It was sort of a pain, and I didn't really see the benefit. I never really investigated it further to see of ordinary Kindorf with the holes is also listed as this type of raceway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have used the Kindorf product many times. It usually has 1/2" Ko's on the bottom of the strut to wire the fixtures. For long rows of suspended fixtures the stuff is really great. It is expensive but will save labor and conduit.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Code catching up to "secret" practices. Section 384 covers strut. First time ever used it as a raceway (had the factory covers) was back in 1990 in Vancouver Washington at HP Computer plant. We used heat shrink over the all-thread where we "thought wire might be at risk to mechanical vibration". Mke sure to file your strut (ream).

I have seen the product many times, mostly in larger commercial work. It does come with the 1/2 KOs. As has been mentioned, I have seen it mostly for lighting.

Standard Unistrut installed mostly as a support means is not a raceway.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Thanks for the links; I'm downloading (slowly on dial-up) as I type.
icon6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.