Unmetered feeders ahead of meter banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I am working on a electrical infrastructure project in New York (residential building). The power company is Con-Edison. I will have a standalone 1200A service switch feed a 1200A switchboard. The switchboard will feed 4 meter banks. These circuits are all in the electrical room.

Does unmetered feeders ahead of the meter banks need to be concrete encased? Does anybody have experience with this?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does unmetered feeders ahead of the meter banks need to be concrete encased? Does anybody have experience with this?
I've never seen it done in concrete. They might want fasteners that can be sealed (typically bolts with holes in them) on the equipment before the meter.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
As you correctly state these are feeders in the context of the NEC so they don't need to be treated as service conductors. That said, I'm not familiar with Con Ed/NYC/NY requirements but it would seem to have no valid purpose to treat them as anything other than a standard feeder except for, as infinity pointed out, the possibility of requiring sealable fasteners on covers.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I've never seen it done in concrete. They might want fasteners that can be sealed (typically bolts with holes in them) on the equipment before the meter.
Hmmm fasteners? can you show me what it looks like?
As you correctly state these are feeders in the context of the NEC so they don't need to be treated as service conductors. That said, I'm not familiar with Con Ed/NYC/NY requirements but it would seem to have no valid purpose to treat them as anything other than a standard feeder except for, as infinity pointed out, the possibility of requiring sealable fasteners on covers.
Can feeders be regulated by the power company too? Unmetered feeders are technically providing power that is not paid for yet until it reaches the meter... so wouldn't the power company want some way to mitigate tampering with these feeders by concrete encasing them in conduit and whatnot?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could be something like this. A bolt with a hole where they run a thin wire through the holes in several bolts and then crimp on a seal.

600003_Hex%20Cap%20Screw%20-%20Drilled%20Head.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.