Unplugging Appilances when not in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
If you replace an outlet with exactly what was there before, are you bound to upgrade it to code? I thought not, but I am frequently wrong. :D
OK exception 2 says it doesn't apply when replacing receptacles. I think adding a switch like was mentioned would be considered adding a device and probably even if a switch/receptacle on one yoke.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
OK exception 2 says it doesn't apply when replacing receptacles. I think adding a switch like was mentioned would be considered adding a device and probably even if a switch/receptacle on one yoke.

In most jurisdictions the building department will also require you to pull a permit so they can get their vig, are you going to do that to? Just no way in the world I am going to worry about putting an AFCI recept in my house.

kwired

Electron manager
In most jurisdictions the building department will also require you to pull a permit so they can get their vig, are you going to do that to? Just no way in the world I am going to worry about putting an AFCI recept in my house.
How many those required permits get filed for just changing out one device? How do they ever find out they didn't get filed other than the rare case of catching someone at the right moment?

We don't need permits for that kind of thing here.

And with dwellings we could even add new circuits and not need permits. Here dwellings only require permits when service is new/replaced.

Strathead

Occupation
How many those required permits get filed for just changing out one device? How do they ever find out they didn't get filed other than the rare case of catching someone at the right moment?

We don't need permits for that kind of thing here.

And with dwellings we could even add new circuits and not need permits. Here dwellings only require permits when service is new/replaced.

I was referring to adding a switch not R and R of a single receptacle.

kwired

Electron manager
I was referring to adding a switch not R and R of a single receptacle.
So you technically are in violation of local permitting rules if you replaced a duplex receptacle with a combination switch/receptacle and only connected it to switch the receptacle on same yoke, and didn't file a permit?

Strathead

Occupation
So you technically are in violation of local permitting rules if you replaced a duplex receptacle with a combination switch/receptacle and only connected it to switch the receptacle on same yoke, and didn't file a permit?

I would say yes, it is a modification of the electrical system. I removed a bad light fixture yesterday in my house. I put two back. I ran about 4 feet of romex. between them and didn't put a single strap on it. It doesn't need it from any safety or visual reason only because code says so. I guarantee that here in Florida, if I asked the building department they would require, a floor plan/site plan, and about $120 for a permit.

kwired

Electron manager
I would say yes, it is a modification of the electrical system. I removed a bad light fixture yesterday in my house. I put two back. I ran about 4 feet of romex. between them and didn't put a single strap on it. It doesn't need it from any safety or visual reason only because code says so. I guarantee that here in Florida, if I asked the building department they would require, a floor plan/site plan, and about $120 for a permit.
And some handyman would have done it for $50 plus materials, right?:blink: Best friend might have even done if for a couple beers.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

In my jurisdiction a permit is required if any wire or receptacle is changed, added, deleted. How many get filed? Almost none. I know this because permits are public records and our permit departments make them easily available to review online. In scanning through 100's of permit applications, I very rarely see small jobs. They are all major multi-trade projects or panel changes where the POCO insists on an inspection before power can be restored. Does this mean that none of the hundreds of EC's around here are doing small jobs? (To quote Al Borland) "I don't think so Tim."

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
In my jurisdiction a permit is required if any wire or receptacle is changed, added, deleted. How many get filed? Almost none. I know this because permits are public records and our permit departments make them easily available to review online. In scanning through 100's of permit applications, I very rarely see small jobs. They are all major multi-trade projects or panel changes where the POCO insists on an inspection before power can be restored. Does this mean that none of the hundreds of EC's around here are doing small jobs? (To quote Al Borland) "I don't think so Tim."

I'd vote for that, in a perfect electrical world , but sadly the reality is far from this ~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.