Unshielded wire for wiegand reader

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am putting access control in a elevator that is 3 stories total. There are extra wires in the hoistway already that the elevator contractor separated, but they aren't shielded, can I use these anyways? Will it work?

GrayHair

I've seen unshielded used, but don't remember ever seeing it in an elevator. If the system uses the full 5 volts on the data lines and the run between reader and interface is short, I see no reason it shouldn't work. But then sometimes, its just a roll of the dice.

But then I've had to move a reader interface with shielded cable to the reader, to the top of the elevator car (3 or 4 story). I've had to replace CL2-P shielded with shielded traveling cable (10 story).

I believe there is only 120v going to the cab, (maybe 208). I don't believe there could be too much interference, but then again, I don't know. Any ideas on how to check prior if I may run into interference?

nhfire77

I believe there is only 120v going to the cab, (maybe 208). I don't believe there could be too much interference, but then again, I don't know. Any ideas on how to check prior if I may run into interference?

In my experience you need shielded for most access control due to EMI. But its worth trying before adding to the travel cable as that is really pricey, especially if the car cannot be out of service for more than day.

In my experience you need shielded for most access control due to EMI. But its worth trying before adding to the travel cable as that is really pricey, especially if the car cannot be out of service for more than day.

Just an update....it did work just fine with the unshielded. Haven't had an issue. Most of the traveler wires are only 24 vdc except for the cab lights and fan. The most interference would come from the elevator machine room control box, but from there to the access controller, I have shielded.

Status
Not open for further replies.