Upcoming interview as a NYC DOB Electrical Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisagauss

I have an interview with the DOB in NYC as an electrical inspector. Ive always wanted to be an inspector, I have 8 years experience in teaching the National Electrical Code and 3 years experience hands on as an electrician. I have a Bachelor's degree in EE. I am planning on reading up on city electrical codes to brush up on their changes. Could anyone here give some recommendations on how to do well on my interview? I'm thinking they will ask a bunch of code questions, what would be the best way to answer should I not know the answer? Which sections/articles of the NEC should I pay more attention to during my review?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I do a lot of oral boards, and I always say, if you don't know the answer, then say so. The guys on the other side of the table, usually three, probably have a good idea pretty quick that you don't know the answer. They asked me a question (don't remember what it was exactly) and I told them "I don't know the answer, but I know where the table is that has the answer."

If the board is done like they are done everywhere I have been, then they will ask all of you the same questions. I have sat on boards where there are clear top guys and I have sat on boards where the whole field may have been separated by a couple of points and I was glad that I didn't have to make that decision. Also if it is a job as an electrical inspector, then you have already got through the screening process it sounds like, but remember that you are probably competing against some guys that are already inspectors.

Just do the best you can and use it as a learning experience. Good luck.

retire09

Along with a good working knowledge of electrical codes and installation methods; they are looking for a "personality fit". A personality fit is someone who they feel will fit in well with the other inspectors and get along with contractors in the field. Know how to explain code violations without insulting someones work. Remember; you work with contractors to help them get the job done. You don't work against them.
It's all in the way you present yourself.
You do not enforce code.
You assist contractors in achieving code complaint electrical installations.
You don't punish contractors into compliance; you encourage and instruct them.
Good luck.

lisagauss

THanks for the great responses guys.....really great feedback. Do you guys have any suggestions as to which areas of the NEC in terms of sections or articles I just brush up more on?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My guess is that if they're going to ask about a few specific code Articles I would look at Articles 230-Services, 250-Grounding and Bonding, and 695-Firepumps.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Along with a good working knowledge of electrical codes and installation methods; they are looking for a "personality fit". A personality fit is someone who they feel will fit in well with the other inspectors and get along with contractors in the field. Know how to explain code violations without insulting someones work. Remember; you work with contractors to help them get the job done. You don't work against them.
It's all in the way you present yourself.
You do not enforce code.
You assist contractors in achieving code complaint electrical installations.
You don't punish contractors into compliance; you encourage and instruct them.
Good luck.
That's a good answer too. Don't try to show how smart you are, remember you have to be able to speak to everyone from homeowners to engineers. So find a neutral ground for the oral board. As far as what to study, when I get to make up my own questions, I usually throw in something like "what color is the grounded conductor?" Mostly it's to see if you are paying attention to what I'm asking and a little bit to see if you know the difference between "grounded" and "grounding".

Last edited:

retire09

With 8 years as an instructor and 3 as an electrician; you already know all you need for the interview.
Just relax and go in with confidence.
No one is looking for a walking code book.

Status
Not open for further replies.