Upgrade to UFER grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Existing home is adding an addition with basement and can provide a concrete encased electrode in the foundation system. Existing electrical service was upgraded about 5 years ago and is grounded via 2 ground rods. Existing service is about 15 feet from new concrete encased electrode exposed through foundation wall. Would they be required to now connect to the UFER ground or is it optional. There will be no other changes to the service, only branch circuit interior with the adddition. Are there any benefits to changing to grounding electrode system to UFER with no other changes. Kind of strandling the fence on what to tell the electrician to do with this situation, any comments?

kwired

Electron manager
NEC does not make a clear distinction in this case. Some AHJ's may want you to use this CEE, others may not care, but it isn't wrong to do so either.

The CEE is likely going to be less resistance than the ground rods ever will be, If I get the opportunity to use an added CEE where there presently is not one being used, I usually do so.

bullheimer

id be optional. but i say the more the merrier, but would like to know how the ufer is less resistance than the two ground rods. seriously, i don't know and would like to. i have never really bought into this whole "cement is a conductor" philosophy. wet cement, sure. dry cement...not so much.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with the others that using the Ufer would be a good plan and I think 250.50 supports your requiring it.

kwired

Electron manager
id be optional. but i say the more the merrier, but would like to know how the ufer is less resistance than the two ground rods. seriously, i don't know and would like to. i have never really bought into this whole "cement is a conductor" philosophy. wet cement, sure. dry cement...not so much.
How about you go in a basement or garage and stand barefoot on the concrete floor and with a bare hand grab a live 120 volt to ground conductor and tell us if the concrete conducts any electricity?

It will likely not conduct well enough to operate much of any useful loads to you, but does conduct well enough to discharge energy to earth, which is the primary reason for grounding electrode use, it will have a lower resistance in most cases than a ground rod simply because there is so much more surface contact with the earth.

Concrete buried underground is rarely ever dry.

Which is why the CEE is supposed to be in the building footer/foundation and not just any concrete component.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are not doing work on the service I am not sure you can be required ti use the CEE, IMO, I would not hesitate to use it but I still don't think I am required to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.