Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

Recently I was outbid for a job that needed a panel swap (100 to 100). The difference in price was that I priced it to update the grounds, 2 new ground rods and water heater etc. I know the contractor who did the swap and after the customer showed him my proposal I'm sure it was easy to underbid me. (actually we are friends) My question is this..
He did not update all the grounds to current code and that was the diff in price, was I wrong to assume I needed to do this even if it's a panel swap? Any answers are appreciated :)

jeff43222

Usually the policy is that if you make any changes to the service, you have to bring it up to code. Around here, a panel swap or service upgrade requires updating the grounding, although I've never had an inspector require two rods.

Oakey

Thx gents for the replies. I asked an inspector from my hometown today and his reply was that it he requires all grounds be updated. So I guess i'll keep on pricing it that way, so I can sleep at night.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I can say that ?right is right,? and that ?fair is fair,? but we all know that is not the way of the real world. When I was in a position to evaluate bids and make recommendations for awarding contracts, our process required me to attempt to make a fair price comparison. For example, if one bid was significantly lower than another, but that bidder had left off a task or some material that the other bidder had included, I had a choice to make. If I thought that the task or material was needed, despite one bidder having left it off, then I would add the cost of that item to that bidder?s price. If I thought the item was not needed, then I would subtract the cost of that item from the higher bid. That way, the bids could be compared on a like-to-like basis.

Is it possible (or even reasonable) to ask your prospective clients to make comparisons in a similar way?

Status
Not open for further replies.