UPS instalation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

five.five-six

I think I know the answer to this but I'm just checking. I have customer that wants to back up a 3 phase 208 panel with a UPS. Would it be OK to run a conduit from the panel to the UPS with both the UPS's line and load conductors in it and just splice the panel's old feeders in the panel to feed the UPS then land the UPS's load feeders on the panel's lugs?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I think I know the answer to this but I'm just checking. I have customer that wants to back up a 3 phase 208 panel with a UPS. Would it be OK to run a conduit from the panel to the UPS with both the UPS's line and load conductors in it and just splice the panel's old feeders in the panel to feed the UPS then land the UPS's load feeders on the panel's lugs?

NEC wise it's ok.
Mfgrs. instructions override the NEC.
Read the manual, I have seen very few that allow line and load in the same raceway.

five.five-six

NEC wise it's ok.
Mfgrs. instructions override the NEC.
Read the manual, I have seen very few that allow line and load in the same raceway.

I'll run 2 raceways, that's not hard. my main concern is that it's an operational office and If I can just splice the feeders through in the panel and land the UPS load conducters on the pannel, I can have their office down for a shorter time period.

iwire

Staff member
I'll run 2 raceways, that's not hard. my main concern is that it's an operational office and If I can just splice the feeders through in the panel and land the UPS load conducters on the pannel, I can have their office down for a shorter time period.

See 312.8 for the rules regarding splicing in cabinets containing overcurrent devices. (To the NEC a panel is the bus bars and breakers that go inside a cabinet)

You can make the splice, just use something easy to do it, like Polaris style connectors etc.

I agree with the others that the derating would kill you running two feeders together.

Is this unit on wheels? Many are so you may need rubber cord or flex between it and the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.