UPS Room Shut Off Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

necnotevenclose

NEC 645.10 talks about providing a means for shut down of all equipment in a Information Tech. room. They also include that shut down should include all dedicated HVAC equipment and fire smoke dampers. My question is does anybody know when you have to provide this means of shutdown?

iwire

Staff member
necnotevenclose said:
My question is does anybody know when you have to provide this means of shutdown?

You don't have to at all.

You do not have to use 645 if you don't want to.

If you chose to use the reduced wiring method requirements of 645 than you must provide the shutdown switch along with dampers etc.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Article 645 is more permissive than the usual wiring methods. Because of this you may design and build a room under the parameters of Article 645, however you must comply with all of the Article to use the relaxed installation methods. This would include an EPO system to shutdown everything within the room. As Bob said using Article 645 is optional.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What do you mean it is optional? Please explain more.
645 provides some permissions to do things that are not permitted under other code articles. If you comply with all of the conditions of 645.4, then you can use the wiring methods in that article. There is nothing that say you have to comply with the conditions in 645.4. Many designers do not use Article 645 because they do not like the idea of the master shud down switch.
Don

27hillcrest

I agree that having an EPO installed can be a hugh problem if someone were to bump into it or let say an anger employee. I am in the process of installing a Liebert 225kva unit now and have been trying to find a way around the EPO. The room is an information technoligy room does that mean I will need to comply with 645? Thank you so much. Plus the contractor before me never installed one for the 160Kva UPS that is up and running.

necnotevenclose

Thank you for the replies.

So if I'm understanding this correctly you only need to provide a means of shut down when you have a raised floor and you use the option of providing open communication cable and non-supported conduits with line voltage. Is there a diagram of this anywhere? I'm curious when the raised floor is penetrated do you need to provide a grommet thru the floor or a piece of conduit to protect the open cable?

Again thanks for the replies.

ron

Needing to follow 645 has nothing to do with raised floor or not. It just depends on whether you will be using the wiring leniencies permitted by 645. Some of the leniencies pertain to raised floors, but the question is whether you need any of the leniencies.
If there is no EPO in your existing data center, then you need to run your circuits like you would in any office building.

Status
Not open for further replies.