UR parts and assemblies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

peter d said:
Wouldn't the assembly itself have to be tested to be UL listed?
That's what I'm asking. :rolleyes:

Here would be a scenario... take the instance of an antique gas light. Every piece and part is available as a UR part to electrify that fixture. Is it now UL approved?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
UR

UR

I asked a UL man the same question a while back. His answer was "no". The UR parts are recognized as a part of "specific" UL listed equipment.
His words, not mine

Assembling UL Recognized parts into an enclosure does not make for a UL Listed product. UL will/can send a field person to inspect this, or if built in a shop, can visit the shop...relatively expensive, especially for one unit.

BTW: It does not have to be UL person, there are other Recognized Laboratories available, most are less expensive than UL.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
iwire said:
Who says it has to be listed?

Exactly, if I'm using antique fixtures I'll rebuild them if necessary, but I don't worry about any listing issue.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
Cavie said:
My Boss.........;)

That's to bad, do you all have an amendment to the NEC?

The NEC requires a listing for fixtures in wet, damp hazardous locations but not for fixtures in standard locations.

I just have a hard time understanding an AHJ prohibiting an electrician who can wire an entire house from repairing, retro fitting a wall sconce. It just makes no sense to me.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Man, Cavie's taken a lot of heat this week.

This one is on me. :)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
beerchug.gif
[/FONT]​

davidr43229

If you construct an assembly out of all UR parts, is the resultant assembly automaticly UL approved
The answer is no. Understand that with recognition, there is no standard test that resides with UL. The manufacturer specifically tested this part to perform a certain way, under certain test conditions, provided the results to UL, and UL blessed the customized test, that it did indeed perform as the manufacturer said it would.
You have to investigate further to see how that part was tested, before you properly apply it.
Just my $.02

iwire said:
Who says it has to be listed?

NYS has in the Residential Code a stipulation that all products installed are required to be Listed....this is just about impossible. We have a new code cycle in NYS starting this January and the new code books are available, I have not received mine yet. I am curious as to whether or not this requirement will still be in the code. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.