URD barriers in service panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

Where does the NEC state that the barriers that come with main breaker service panels must be installed over the lugs on the main breaker? Or is it just because the manufacture says to install them? I had someone tell me the code reference is 408.3(A)(2) but that doesn't seem correct.
Thanks

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
In the 2017 code it IS in 408.3. Line side terminals must be safed-off ahead of the main.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(2) Service Panelboards, Switchboards, and Switchgear. Barri ers shall be placed in all service panelboards, switchboards, and switchgear such that no uninsulated, ungrounded service busbar or service terminal is exposed to inadvertent contact by persons or maintenance equipment while servicing load termi nations.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
These barriers are also required by the product standard. I believe the requirement in the product standard preceded the requirement in the NEC.
This rule has been revised and relocated to 230.62(C) so it applies all service equipment in the 2020 code.
(C) Barriers. Barriers shall be placed in service equipment such that no uninsulated, ungrounded service busbar or service terminal is exposed to inadvertent contact by persons or maintenance equipment while servicing load terminations.

Status
Not open for further replies.