URD in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

isn't the point of URd to avoid having to use conduit? why not just run wires if you are going to the trouble to install pvc

URD is phase marked, cabled and ready to go. It's also cheaper than buying individual conductors, and pulls very easily. It's all I use now when I have the chance.

Sounds fine, as long as the wire does not emerge from grade other than to connect to a meter socket.

To expand and be complete:
1. If only marked use-2, can only be used as peter d said above.

2. If also marked rhh-2, can also be used inside, or run a significant distance above grade outside.

3. Must be marked sunight resistant to use exposed such as at a weather head.

4. Must be marked "totally awsome rad super duper wire" to be used above ground without conduit.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We keep a big reel of this at the shop at all times. Ours is dual rated RHH RHW, etc and we use in for service laterals in conduit or for overhead masts. You don't really need anything else for a 200 amp residential service if you have this stuff.

kwired

Electron manager
Current price (online, if I call might get a little better) from one of my supply houses is 2.00 a foot for "Sweetbriar" (4/0,4/0,2/0) with compact stranded conductors and USE/RHW/RHH rated.

2/0 XHHW is .53 a foot and 4/0 XHHW is .73 a foot so about the same price for conductor either way, but less handling of the Sweetbriar when you pull it off the reel in one shot. The triplex also seems to pull easier then three individual conductors most of the time.

kwired

Electron manager
Are we saying URD can't enter a building?
Conductors only marked USE can not enter a building. Conductors marked with a type mentioned in 310.104 can be used within buildings. There are URD assemblies with USE only type conductors and there are URD assemblies with conductor types mentioned in 310.104. Most common I have seen either are straight USE rated or have three ratings USE, RHW, RHH, I imagine there could be others. This is no different then a conductor marked THHN, THWN, THWN-2, it can be used anywhere those designations are allowed or at different ampacity levels if any of those types designate different levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.