Use of #3AWG Not Common

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SJK

Throughout my career it's been recommended that I avoid use of #3AWG. Why is that? Is it not normally stocked? Or worse, not normally manufactured? I didn't see any answers in a search of this forum. Thanks...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use it all of the time but we are dealing with large supply houses and wire vendors. To me using something larger is often a waste of money especially given the current cost of copper.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Throughout my career it's been recommended that I avoid use of #3AWG. Why is that? Is it not normally stocked? Or worse, not normally manufactured? I didn't see any answers in a search of this forum. Thanks...
I never had a problem getting #3 from my suppliers, I don't know about big box stores though.

Roger

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have had installers replace #3 with #2 aluminum conductors in my PV system designs because they could not get #3.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There are certain sizes we don't generally use and #3 is one of them. We can get it, but we don't need much of it and the guy in charge does not want to have a bunch of it left over that can't be used for something else so he usually changes it to #2 unless we need a whole lot of it for a single project which just does not happen. Th ampacity range that #3 is most suited for just does not seem to come up in our designs real often.

W@ttson

For what its worth, I too had heard of this rumor a long time ago. Might just be one of those things that has been passed person to person and become fact, when in reality it is as normal or accessible as any other size.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
For what its worth, I too had heard of this rumor a long time ago. Might just be one of those things that has been passed person to person and become fact, when in reality it is as normal or accessible as any other size.
I have encountered it; see post #5.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I think it is about the same as 95mm2.

That's quite common in UK.

Sure, I'll just ask for 95 mm2 here in the Colonies. That'll assure prompt service!

I was going to make a remark about Americans, the metric system, and avoiding it like the plague. But as it turns out, that's something we don't do very well, either. (more than one third of adults in Michigan haven't had their first covid vaccination yet)

Xenophobia and bad education are so popular here -- not to mention indifference to specifications -- that if you were to walk into a lumberyard and say that you need a sheet of plywood between 3 and 30 mm thick, the response would be "We don't carry no metric sizes.".

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Sure, I'll just ask for 95 mm2 here in the Colonies. That'll assure prompt service!

I was going to make a remark about Americans, the metric system, and avoiding it like the plague. But as it turns out, that's something we don't do very well, either. (more than one third of adults in Michigan haven't had their first covid vaccination yet)

Xenophobia and bad education are so popular here -- not to mention indifference to specifications -- that if you were to walk into a lumberyard and say that you need a sheet of plywood between 3 and 30 mm thick, the response would be "We don't carry no metric sizes.".
Yes, I was trying to envisage 3AWG. For metric units it is, I think, simpler. The larger the conductor is the just the actual physical size. I think the whole concept is just simpler with metric. I know when I was at school, a very long time ago, we had Imperial with feet, inches, pounds, miles etc. Later when I was a secondary school we got introduced to metric. The rest is history.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You use newtons for force/weight and km/hr for speed, correct? (just teasing; we have our mishmash of units here too)
It isn't a mishmash actually.
" the force that would give a mass of one kilogram an acceleration of one metre per second per second,"
Better than pounds and ounces.

kwired

Electron manager
My guess, if you purchasing from big box or a supply house that primarily sells to people doing residential projects, there isn't much demand for #3 copper and they likely don't stock it or have limited stock. 100 amp services or feeders to a dwelling unit can use #4 instead of #3.

You probably will also find #2 aluminum is also common for such places to have but #1 might not be - for same reasons.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I don't do a lot of commercial work, so I wouldn't have a common use for #3

But 3 years ago I wired a restaurant that had 2 - 100 amp subpanels, and I got #3 from a supply house readily available.

In fact, I still had some of the scrap laying around, and used it on 2 residential subpanels in the last week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.