Use of #3AWG Not Common

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't do a lot of commercial work, so I wouldn't have a common use for #3

But 3 years ago I wired a restaurant that had 2 - 100 amp subpanels, and I got #3 from a supply house readily available.

In fact, I still had some of the scrap laying around, and used it on 2 residential subpanels in the last week or so.
You still need full 100 amp conductor (or at least 91 amps or more) for a 100 amp subpanel in a dwelling if it is not feeding an entire dwelling unit. If you chose to do this with copper do you try to get #3 or do you get #2? Same for #1 vs #2 if aluminum? With SER cable it may be more common to find 1/0 aluminum than #1 aluminum?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
You still need full 100 amp conductor (or at least 91 amps or more) for a 100 amp subpanel in a dwelling if it is not feeding an entire dwelling unit. If you chose to do this with copper do you try to get #3 or do you get #2? Same for #1 vs #2 if aluminum? With SER cable it may be more common to find 1/0 aluminum than #1 aluminum?
I don't run copper feeders in residential applications unless aluminum isn't allowed.

One municipality here used to not allow any aluminum at all, and we'd have to run all copper.

And I think you're right about #1 vs 1/0 AL SER

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I think it is about the same as 95mm2.

That's quite common in UK.
I believe the closest metric wire to 3 AWG is 25mm2

I can get 3AWG copper all day long here, and in all kinds of colors but 3 AWG aluminum has a high minimum order for me.

kwired

Electron manager
I've had times when utility guys ask what size your conductors are so they can grab connectors before going up to connect to their drop, and if you tell them #3 they act like that is not possible.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.