Use of Crimp Splices in residential renovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

glene77is

334.40 Boxes and Fittings.
(A) Boxes of Insulating Material. Nonmetallic outlet
boxes shall be permitted as provided by 314.3.
(B) Devices of Insulating Material. Switch, outlet, and
tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be
used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring
in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and
fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit
around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall
fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of
the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors
are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available
as many terminals as conductors.

Question:
Does this mean that crimp splices could be used to patch together
two runs of Romex (where concealed or fished) ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think that article is talking about these made by Tyco.

n5gi030a.jpg

rt66electric

can you use these in a attic??

can you use these in a attic??

Hey can you intall these in a attic??? I always have requests from home inspectors to remediate fling splices in attic. The wires are usuallly to short to easily install j-boxes??? I personnally do not think thay are the best splices, but, will they satisfy AHJ and or buyers loan underwriter.?????

jumper

Hey can you intall these in a attic??? I always have requests from home inspectors to remediate fling splices in attic. The wires are usuallly to short to easily install j-boxes??? I personnally do not think thay are the best splices, but, will they satisfy AHJ and or buyers loan underwriter.?????

Their a lot of opinions on these connectors, do a search.

Me, I am not going to use them. My opinion only. Not code.

If the AHJ or underwriter says okay, go for it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think originally they were designed for modular homes and only for them but I believe they are a legitimate connector now.

Jon456

that was an AMP product back in the early 80's

I believe AMP is now a division of Tyco.

These devices were mentioned to me in this forum as a way of extending a run of NM that is too short. I had never seem or heard of these before. Yesterday I was in Home Depot buying some heat shrink tubing for an unrelated project, and noticed these connectors hanging on the wall just above the wire nuts. I was surprised.

PetrosA

I used one of these once years ago to repair a romex that some gung-ho kitchen installers cut - there was no other cost effective method to use (a replacement would have involved removing parts of two walls and a ceiling). The one I used was the chinese finger type, and I still have doubts to this day about it. If there was a version with terminal screws available, I would have felt a lot more comfortable about it. Even an Ambiance joiner inspires more confidence...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But would you use it?
I've used the T-tap version to add a clock receptacle for a wall-mounted TV, where the load was predictable.

I don't think I'd ever use one for a splice carrying the current of an entire circuit; too much like stab-wiring.

glene77is

I suggest use of two JB, and a short piece of Romex to patch between the two ends of the Flying Splice. Common Practice here.

glene77is

I think originally they were designed for modular homes and only for them but I believe they are a legitimate connector now.

As a related item of inter-connection (not at all the same item as the picture) ,
Have some left-over modular building inter-connections, with attached MC cable.
Very heavy duty.
These plug-and-lock-together splices are nice, and pricey.
Made for In-Factory use for building pre-fab walls
to be used in assembling modular buildings.
Should cut down on labor costs when supplied in prescribed lengths, ready-to-go.

I prefer two JB attached to two adjacent joists, and a peice of Romex between.

glene77is

I've used the T-tap version to add a clock receptacle for a wall-mounted TV, where the load was predictable.

I don't think I'd ever use one for a splice carrying the current of an entire circuit; too much like stab-wiring.

Larry,
Agreed.
Predictable load.
Still, I don't like to have them in the backbone of the circuit.

If it smells like a flying-splice,
and looks like a flying-splice,
and walks like a flying-splice,
. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.