Use of general lighting fixtures as emergency lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor.cherkashi

I'm looking for opinions how you decide which and how much lighting fixtures from general lighting must be used as emergency. assuming you know lumen output of thr fixtures, but you can't use software to calculate candles on a floor. what is rule of thumb?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

dkidd

Occupation
PE
If you can't calculate it, then you could only verify by measurements in the field.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I'm looking for opinions how you decide which and how much lighting fixtures from general lighting must be used as emergency. assuming you know lumen output of thr fixtures, but you can't use software to calculate candles on a floor. what is rule of thumb?

Why can't you use software to determine footcandle levels at the floor level?

victor.cherkashi

by saying I can't calculate I meant I don't have photometric file to use software. I only have specification of lighting fixture with photometric chart. it's 14 watts LED. how can I estimate required distance between two emergency fixtures? rule of thumb...

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
by saying I can't calculate I meant I don't have photometric file to use software. I only have specification of lighting fixture with photometric chart. it's 14 watts LED. how can I estimate required distance between two emergency fixtures? rule of thumb...

Because I have too much trouble reading the charts, I would cheat and just call the distributor who represents that fixture and ask him. He likely has the software.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Like above supply house/manufacturers or the fixture has beam spread over height. So overlap your foot candela and read the center to center measurements.

lumen output of the fixture in an IES file will not be accurate for calculating FC levels in an emergency situation. EMG batteries have a specific lumen output which will be lower than the lumen output of the fixture during regular use.

you can talk to the emergency battery mfg to obtain this.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
lumen output of the fixture in an IES file will not be accurate for calculating FC levels in an emergency situation. EMG batteries have a specific lumen output which will be lower than the lumen output of the fixture during regular use.

you can talk to the emergency battery mfg to obtain this.

OP didn't mention batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.