Use SO Cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandtew

A customer asked me if a SO can be used from the buss plug on a bus duct in the ceiling drop down into a quad receptable and be used to supply 120V power to some portable equipment. The SO cords have strain relief at both ends. However is quad receptable box is no anchored. Bottom line is this acceptable?

Also is there a maximum length for the use of a SO cord?:

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum:)

Yes, SO cord can be used as a pendant from a busway in accordance with 368.56(B). SO cord is listed as extra hard usage cord.

As for the quad box, 314.23(H)(1) states "A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain relief connector threaded into a box with a hub. A standard 4 square box would not meet the requirements of 314.23(H)(1).

Chris

btharmy

No, a simple 4" sq J-box won't be acceptable. They have too many 1/4" mounting holes for foreign objects to enter, no threaded hub (mentioned above) not to mention all the 1/2 and 3/4 ko's that can possibly be pushed in on accident or even on purpose by someone. I have used FS box with kellum connector and stainless coverplate for such an application. FS boxes are bullet proof and it looks good. I know someone will chime in to say you should use one of those yellow plastic pendant box with the cheesy cord connector. I am much more comfortable with the durability of a cast box with a kellum connector threaded into the hub than the plastic alternative.

brandtew

Welcome to the forum:)

Yes, SO cord can be used as a pendant from a busway in accordance with 368.56(B). SO cord is listed as extra hard usage cord.

As for the quad box, 314.23(H)(1) states "A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain relief connector threaded into a box with a hub. A standard 4 square box would not meet the requirements of 314.23(H)(1).

Chris
thanks for the reply. I guess I need to make it a little bit clearer. Yes the customer does have a pendant box with strain relief. Therefore the SO cord has strain relief on both ends. The Bus Duct is at the ceiling not necessarily in the ceiling. All that being said, Does the pendant box have to be secured to anything or can it just hang there?

nascar03

No, a simple 4" sq J-box won't be acceptable. They have too many 1/4" mounting holes for foreign objects to enter, no threaded hub (mentioned above) not to mention all the 1/2 and 3/4 ko's that can possibly be pushed in on accident or even on purpose by someone. I have used FS box with kellum connector and stainless coverplate for such an application. FS boxes are bullet proof and it looks good. I know someone will chime in to say you should use one of those yellow plastic pendant box with the cheesy cord connector. I am much more comfortable with the durability of a cast box with a kellum connector threaded into the hub than the plastic alternative.

Hey, You should use"one of those yellow plastic pendant boxes with the cheesy cord connector!!" Sorry, I couldn't resist.

raider1

Staff member
thanks for the reply. I guess I need to make it a little bit clearer. Yes the customer does have a pendant box with strain relief. Therefore the SO cord has strain relief on both ends. The Bus Duct is at the ceiling not necessarily in the ceiling. All that being said, Does the pendant box have to be secured to anything or can it just hang there?

If you are using a proper pendant box then it can just hang there and need not be secured to anything.

I have done this type of install before using Woodhead boxes, never used FS boxes but they would work as well.:)

Chris

We have these pendant type quadplexes where I work and we use the 4 square boxes with no hub and strain reliefs on each end. The strain reliefs connect to box with lock-nut. IMO and local AHJ this meets 314.23(H)(1)

raider1

Staff member
We have these pendant type quadplexes where I work and we use the 4 square boxes with no hub and strain reliefs on each end. The strain reliefs connect to box with lock-nut. IMO and local AHJ this meets 314.23(H)(1)

IMHO, A 4 square box does not meet the requirements of 314.23(H)(1), but if your AHJ approves the install that is all that matters.

Chris

If a KO and a lock nut equals a "box with a hub" then I guess you are good to go.:)

314.23(H)(1) A box shall be supported from a muticonductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.

IMO any approved method that protects against strain is acceptable not just a box with a hub.

You can try that but once OSHA arrives they will explain otherwise.:grin:

'Approved' does not mean by you, me or the installer, it means 'approved by the AHJ'.

You are correct that is why we have had the state inspector in recently to go over some of our installations to prepare for OSHA VPP certification and got his ok on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.