Using 14-4 Romex Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

Where can I buy 14-4 Romex cable? It would have a total of 5 conductors (black, white, red, blue, and ground). There are a lot of times where the extra blue wire would be helpful, such as running a hot, neutral, and two travelers in a 3-way and 4-way switch circuit.

Home Depot sells a 250' roll of what they call 12-2-2, which also has 5 conductors. Instead of a blue, it has a white with red stripe. That cable would be useful for wiring bathroom heat/light/fan units, because they require 3 hots and a neutral. But I've never seen a 14-AWG version of that product.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Where can I buy 14-4 Romex cable? It would have a total of 5 conductors (black, white, red, blue, and ground). There are a lot of times where the extra blue wire would be helpful, such as running a hot, neutral, and two travelers in a 3-way and 4-way switch circuit.

Home Depot sells a 250' roll of what they call 12-2-2, which also has 5 conductors. Instead of a blue, it has a white with red stripe. That cable would be useful for wiring bathroom heat/light/fan units, because they require 3 hots and a neutral. But I've never seen a 14-AWG version of that product.[/QUO

Check your local suppliers & ask if they can order it. I bought 14/2/2 from our local Eck. They had to get it from 1 of their stores in VA. Our Home Depot stores list it on their chart but never have it. Last year, I asked several HD people to get me a price. Never heard back from them.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Home Depot sells a 250' roll of what they call 12-2-2, which also has 5 conductors. Instead of a blue, it has a white with red stripe. That cable would be useful for wiring bathroom heat/light/fan units, because they require 3 hots and a neutral. But I've never seen a 14-AWG version of that product.

This may be a stupid question, but I was thinking that the 4 conductor romex was 2 hots and 2 neutrals. Wouldn't using it the way you described be in violation of article 200? ( Unless it was remarked per 200.7(C)(1) ).

iwire

Staff member
Up here I have been able to get 12/4 NM no problem, never tried to get 14/4 NM so I can't say.

You might be able to get 14/4 MC for about the same money as NM. Heck, I know we have about 4000' of 14/4 MC in our warehouse right now.

ctmike

Just ask your wholsaler just because u dont see it they still might have it .14/4 romex is a stok item here

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I paid just over $100 for a roll of 14-2-2. I have used a little of it for 3 way switches to carry neutrals. I do see it as a waste if coming to a 4 way switch, as I have never seen a 4 way dimmer or motion switch. Has anyone ever seen such?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This may be a stupid question, but I was thinking that the 4 conductor romex was 2 hots and 2 neutrals. Wouldn't using it the way you described be in violation of article 200? ( Unless it was remarked per 200.7(C)(1) ).

That would be 12-2-2 or 14-2-2 but there is also 12-4 or 14-4.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
12-4 has a black, red, blue, and a white. 12-2-2 has a black, red, white, and white with a red tracer.

Hook them up however you want and use tape or magic markers accordingly. Everybody knows it is only re-identified single conductors smaller than #4 that are not safe.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I would start by getting rid of 200.7 C. It is a silly rule. Having a white in a switch loop or on a two pole breaker was never a problem for anybody qualified. It would at least bring some consistency back. Either it is okay to recolor a wire smaller than #4 or it is not.

Or add in some thing like the language from 200.6 only make it available to everyone.

Exception No. 1: Where the conditions of maintenance and
supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the
installation, grounded conductors in multiconductor cables
shall be permitted to be permanently identified at their ter-
minations at the time of installation by a distinctive white
marking or other equally effective means.

Or the code could just remain silent on the issue. Keep the rules for grounded, ungrounded and grounding and leave the issue of re-identification alone.

Honestly. I am not so hung up on the idea of re-identifying conductors that I loose sleep over it, but it does gripe me for a bigger reason. The last three cycles the code has moved farther away from its stated purpose. The CMP's willingness to go beyond practical safeguarding and move into areas that are purely design issues and just plain dumb down the code brings into question the integrity of the code and weakens it. As a student of the NEC and once proud supporter of it I am frustrated by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.