Using a cord-connected UPS with a permanently installed load in another room

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjk_cmh

Trying to figure out if there is any legal way to use a non-hardwire type UPS (say general purpose battery backup) to feed a load that is located elsewhere in the building through walls etc. The UPS would be wall-mounted with a vertical rack, and the other load only has a hardwire input connection. I was thinking MC or Romex from the load over to a jbox near the UPS, and then a SO cord coming out the jbox with a cord grip leading to a plug that I could then connect to the UPS. Is this an acceptable method or is there some other way that it should be done?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just use a receptacle inlet (wired like a regular outlet) with a cable going to the hardwired equipment. From the UPS to the inlet use a cord.
Something like this:
Z0-to0fo5oy.JPG

Todd0x1

Inlet is nice, or if the UPS hasn't been purchased yet there's always the option of purchasing a hardwire version. Smallest I have dealt with was a 3kva eaton, not sure how much smaller they get.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
IMHO everything on the UPS is part of a piece of utilization equipment. It and its cords are not part of building wiring. The problematic issue is a hard wired SO cord to plug in to the UPS; if it is hard wired then it is part of the building wiring and thus subject to article 400.

-Jon

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We have several customers that do that, so the engineers for them must have figured out a way for it to be legal.....or not........ CVS does their stores that way, the pharmacists are bad at plugging the drug mini fridge into the same outlet as the computer and tripping out the ups. I know of several others that I can think of that do it too.

rjk_cmh

Thanks for the input. The inlet connector is something that I have considered as well. I've seen the SO cord and cord grip before, which is why I asked. Seems like there's a few exceptions that may apply, but hard to say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.