Using a disconnect as a means to pass through.

Occupation
solar
Hello every one I'm new to here and to the trade I have a question. Can we pass circuits that are not being disconnected though a disconnect? For example in a solar installation on a residential home that has two inverters that are being fed from a subpanel but have independent disconnects but are next to one another and pass through one to get to the other. thank you to anyone who responds.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Yes, you can.

That is, for a single circuit passing through like in your example, it's not going to violate 312.8. 312.8 basically says don't fill up the available space too much.

Strictly speaking you are supposed to put a label on the disconnect with the pass through conductors stating where they can be turned off.

Occupation
solar
Hey every one I did some reading on 312.8b and I have a question. Since we can splice in over current device enclosers, does this mean we can splice circuits in a main service panel? For example if I need to run a gutter box on the bottom or another form of race way but circuits are entering from the top and I cannot enter because of an obstruction or what ever the case is and extend them to a sub panel from there.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Yes, you can. It's the same rule.
The only thing you can not do with respect to a service panel is run feeder or branch circuit conductors through a section or raceway that has the service conductors. For example the meter section of a meter/main combo.

Occupation
solar
Yes, you can. It's the same rule.
The only thing you can not do with respect to a service panel is run feeder or branch circuit conductors through a section or raceway that has the service conductors. For example the meter section of a meter/main combo.
Awesome thank you!!

garbo

We do not have a state electrical license so every city & town had some of their own rules. Some locations would not permit any conductors passing thru a safety switch. When I had starters with remote start stop stations would have to run it thru a conduit to a junction box to catch up with motor leads from a starter.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We do not have a state electrical license so every city & town had some of their own rules. Some locations would not permit any conductors passing thru a safety switch. When I had starters with remote start stop stations would have to run it thru a conduit to a junction box to catch up with motor leads from a starter.
Where are you located?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
@garbo , you reply to infinity was sent as a reported post. No one can see your post except mods. I will copy your post

This is in response to infinity's question, by Garbo, in post 10
Dukes of hazard Pa. Politicians in Harrisburg have been working on a state electrical license since 1964 when my sparky chief electrician dad had to take a test to get a Philly electrical license. Worst part some towns do not recognize other location license so you have to take their four hours test . Was told that some rural small towns allow any home owner to get a general contractor license in order to secure an electrical.permit when building thier own homes. Of course this turns the electrical inspectors into teachers having to fail them numerous times until they finally get it right.