Using building steel to bond water entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
These are the panels that form the building exterior walls, correct? If yes, then I don't think they qualify.
One way to determine is if there is other heavier steel framing members that were put in place first, which ended up supporting the roof before the framing members in question were installed - they likely not a structural member, they are primarily just something to attach wall finish to. They might be heavier duty for exterior walls than for interior walls but still not critical to supporting the main structure.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The code uses this phrase "The metal structural frame of a building..." Either these pieces of steel you want to use as a bonding conductor are part of the metal structural frame of the building or they are not. I agree with you that the paint color on the steel does not matter.

kwired

Electron manager
The code uses this phrase "The metal structural frame of a building..." Either these pieces of steel you want to use as a bonding conductor are part of the metal structural frame of the building or they are not. I agree with you that the paint color on the steel does not matter.
Brings up a good question. I know in past I have or have seen GEC run to a purlin or girt instead of a main beam, even though they are solidly bolted together. Possibly not really the right thing to do? They definitely still much more capable of carrying large amount of current (paying close attention to what has to go through the bolted connection(s)) than say typical flimsy metal studs for interior drywall partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.