Using device for splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Wife plugs in her brand new electric skillet into a MWBC that has an open neutral. Smoke comes out before anything is even cooking. Now you (as an electrician) had just added to that circuit and failed to pigtail the neutral and neutral comes loose from a terminal.
Skillet in question lands up beside your head.
Need I say more?:p

Plus you get no dinner!:huh:
But the problem with that story is the electric skillet likely is not effected other then it doesn't see full 120 volts and don't get as hot as it should. It will be that appliance with electronic controls on it that sees the overvoltage side of the circuit and lets out some smoke, as the skillet will be a low resistance and therefore have less voltage drop across it and the remainder of the applied 240 volts is across the higher resistance item.

JonwoN

The first time you see 120V blow up in your face, you'll probably start reaching for breakers rather than a pair of gloves. Not talking bolted faults with 750MCM, but a 12ga wire, on a 20A breaker that never thought of tripping, blowing itself into pieces.

There are incredibly few exceptions for working live. "It's only 120V" is not one of them.

I never said , "It's only 120v" , so do not put words in my mouth. Last time i checked its takes .010 of an ampere to fibrillate the heart. My comments were sarcastic , I thought the dream part would indicate a sense of humor , apparently you dont have one. Do not talk to me like i have not seen things blow up.

user 100

Wife plugs in her brand new electric skillet into a MWBC that has an open neutral. Smoke comes out before anything is even cooking. Now you (as an electrician) had just added to that circuit and failed to pigtail the neutral and neutral comes loose from a terminal.
Skillet in question lands up beside your head.
Need I say more?:p

Plus you get no dinner!:huh:

But the problem with that story is the electric skillet likely is not effected other then it doesn't see full 120 volts and don't get as hot as it should. It will be that appliance with electronic controls on it that sees the overvoltage side of the circuit and lets out some smoke, as the skillet will be a low resistance and therefore have less voltage drop across it and the remainder of the applied 240 volts is across the higher resistance item.

And............

We must de-energize general use 120v receptacle ? I thought we were General Journeyman. I have gloves , electrical tape , safety glasses and a dream.

The first time you see 120V blow up in your face, you'll probably start reaching for breakers rather than a pair of gloves. Not talking bolted faults with 750MCM, but a 12ga wire, on a 20A breaker that never thought of tripping, blowing itself into pieces.

There are incredibly few exceptions for working live. "It's only 120V" is not one of them.

I never said , "It's only 120v" , so do not put words in my mouth. Last time i checked its takes .010 of an ampere to fibrillate the heart. My comments were sarcastic , I thought the dream part would indicate a sense of humor , apparently you dont have one. Do not talk to me like i have not seen things blow up.

Geez guys, Little Bill and JonwoN were only joking.;)

Lighten up a little.:)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Sarcasm and jokes are hard to relate through typed words... without specifically noting such through additional words and or emoticons. I understand you are new here, so I ask you to not take offense so easily. I did not sense any was intended on JF's part.

JFletcher

Sarcasm comes across poorly with the written word. I have a pretty wicked sense of humor, but that stops at working live, something many electricians take for granted, especially on 120V. I honestly couldnt tell if you were serious or not with your comment as I know many who would work it live despite having a breaker within 50' of said receptacle. My apologies.

JonwoN

Sarcasm comes across poorly with the written word. I have a pretty wicked sense of humor, but that stops at working live, something many electricians take for granted, especially on 120V. I honestly couldnt tell if you were serious or not with your comment as I know many who would work it live despite having a breaker within 50' of said receptacle. My apologies.

Hey its alright, i am sorry for being overly defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.