using liquid-tight in Class 1, Div 1 location

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire rat

On our most recent Wastewater treatment project, we were told by the Inspector that in any Class 1, Div 1 location, Explosion-proof liquid-tight must be used at all motors, heaters, solenoid valves etc. I havent been able to find this in the NEC. Is this required. I know that Appleton makes what they call "flexible couplings" Is this considered Explosion-proof liquid-tight.
Once we are successful in getting a new Wastewater treatment project, we are often invited to the engineering companys last project. On a recent visit to their latest project I noticed that they used regular liquid-tight in a Class 1, Div 1 location. Was this an oversight by that projects Inspector?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
There is no such thing as "explosion-proof liquid-tight flexible conduit," and yes the Appleton flexible coupling and similar products made by other manufacturer's are what many folks erroneously believe is explosion-proof liquid-tight.

Standard LMFC is not suitable for Division 1. Listed flexible fittings (couplings) are permitted, but not required – See 501.10(A)(2)

Edit Corrected a typo in the reference

Last edited:

justdavemamm

We use "Metallic Flexible Conduit", ie Sealtite, for Intrinsically Safe items in a Class I, Division 1 location. That would include solenoids.

For some motors we use Crouse-Hinds ECGJH136 flex or equiv. Perhaps that's what the OP Inspector was referring to. But it's expensive.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The ECGJH series are "flexible couplings" and acceptable in Division 1. It isdifficult to imagine applying intrinsically safe wiring methods to motor circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.