Using MC Armor Jacket as Ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnestan

New User
Occupation
ME
My 1927 house has metal boxes that are grounded. I pretty sure its only grounded through the MC armor jacket. I do not see an separate ground wire or a bonding strip. Can I use the armor jacket as a ground? The armor is magnetic so its made of steel and not aluminum. If it's not an acceptable ground path, how to I ensure that switches and outlets don't ground through the screw. Are there special non-self-grounding outlets and switches I need to use. Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You probably have ac aka bx cable. Some are bonded thru the cable with a metal strip inside the cable which you would not see from the pic. If it doesn't have the strip then you cannot use it as an equipment grounding conductor.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I might add it would be prudent to have a knowledgeable electrical contractor take look at the existing system.
Considering the vintage of the installation, as Dennis states, it is likely an early AC cable, brand name BX, and the early versions had no bonding strip and it was possible, in a short circuit situation, the outer jacket of the cable becoming a "heater" and fire danger.
Some jurisdiction banned the use of that cable for a while until the manufacturing process addressed the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.