using MDP from one service as a junction box to tie into another service

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempoffroad

I have three services on a building. One service has a generator and one does not. I have a 400amp breaker on the service that has no generator and the company wants the 400 amp now on the generator. Can I use the MDP as a junction box after I remove the wires from the breaker and run a conduit from the generator service and tie it into the non generator MDP. (312.8) reads as though I can given I have the space and I do. I was unsure about the separate service feeder in the cabinet. I would label the feeder with a warning label as required.

Thanks

tempoffroad

The building is almost 650k sq feet. It has two 2000a services and one 2500a. Two are next to each other and one is on the other side of the building. The service on the other side of the building has a generator as well. I am going to go ahead with using this as a J-box. The MDP has tons of room inside the cabinet. Thanks for the welcome. This seems to be a great forum.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Welcome, too. :thumbsup:

... Can I use the MDP as a junction box after I remove the wires from the breaker and run a conduit from the generator service and tie it into the non generator MDP. ...
In NEC parlance, there is no such thing as a "generator service". Please refer to all the service-related and feeder definitions in Article 100.

Also please refer to the first sentence of 702.5 and the Exception thereto.

Status
Not open for further replies.