Using Receptacles and Snap Switches as a termination point.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I have always used "Pigtails" on Receptacles and Snap switches, never like all the wires that are connected. Section 300.13(B) only applies to multiwire circuits.

Section 300.13(B): Device Removal: In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connection such as lamp holders, receptacles and so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.

I thought "Pig Tailing" applied to all devices, not just the neutral side.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Pig-tailing is not necessarily required, but it's the easiest way to maintain neutral continuity.

It's only necessary because more than one hot wire use the neutral on MWBCs.

With single circuits, de-energizing also de-energizes the grounded conductor.

Technically, the handle-tie requirement makes the pig-tailing unnecessary.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Pigtailing is not required, and I still come across a lot of receptacles wired in and out on the device.

However, in my area at least, the inspector is going to want to see all the grounds tied together at rough, so most of the time we just pigtail everything at rough. It also makes it a lot easier when we come back for finish. In my opinion.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I just wish they'd quit the whole "twist the bare EGC back as far as you can routine " not sure who started that trend, or, ever thought it was necessary anyway.

Twist the very end if you feel you need to, and, put a wire nut on it like the rest of the conductors for pete's sake. :)

I really dont see the use in "Greeners" either, all that does is make the bare EGC come out the end of a wire nut in a different direction than all the rest.

There, I said it,,, :)

JAP>

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I just wish they'd quit the whole "twist the bare EGC back as far as you can routine " not sure who started that trend, or, ever thought it was necessary anyway.

Twist the very end if you feel you need to, and, put a wire nut on it like the rest of the conductors for pete's sake. :)

I really dont see the use in "Greeners" either, all that does is make the bare EGC come out the end of a wire nut in a different direction than all the rest.

There, I said it,,, :)

JAP>
💯

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I love greenies. 😬

When I pull my romex, I pull one twice as long as the other(s), about 12” out of the box.

When I come back for make up, I cut the black and white (and red) and use those ends for making the pigtails, put a greenie so the long one is the one that sticks out, roll that as far back as it will go so it will not contact my devices, and boom!

Super fast, no carrying wire around to make pigtails, no grounds that are too short…..You’ll thank me later.….😳😂😂😂

kwired

Electron manager
I have always used "Pigtails" on Receptacles and Snap switches, never like all the wires that are connected. Section 300.13(B) only applies to multiwire circuits.

Section 300.13(B): Device Removal: In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connection such as lamp holders, receptacles and so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.

Answer is in your own text: only grounded conductor of a MWBC needs pigtailed to be code compliant. If you wish you certainly can pigtail all conductors though.
An

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I love greenies. 😬

When I pull my romex, I pull one twice as long as the other(s), about 12” out of the box.

When I come back for make up, I cut the black and white (and red) and use those ends for making the pigtails, put a greenie so the long one is the one that sticks out, roll that as far back as it will go so it will not contact my devices, and boom!

Super fast, no carrying wire around to make pigtails, no grounds that are too short…..You’ll thank me later.….😳😂😂😂

I do roughly the same but pigtail the bare grounds for the number of devices going in the box.

I never was a fan of looping around the ground screw of one device to get it to the others, but hey, to each his own.

JAP>

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
My home was built in 1972 with the bare ground wire, in black sheathed "Romex" and the installing contractor poked all the ground wires through holes in the back of the metal boxes. Then crimped them together, outside back of the box, to save space.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I do roughly the same but pigtail the bare grounds for the number of devices going in the box.

I never was a fan of looping around the ground screw of one device to get it to the others, but hey, to each his own.
I do it either way, depending on nothing in particular, maybe how I'm feeling at the moment.

I dislike looping the incoming hot from switch to switch; makes adding a dimmer a real pain.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My home was built in 1972 with the bare ground wire, in black sheathed "Romex" and the installing contractor poked all the ground wires through holes in the back of the metal boxes. Then crimped them together, outside back of the box, to save space.
Oy gevalt! :rolleyes:

jap

Occupation
Electrician

What a ding-dong. :)

Jap>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Our rules for the EGC hasn't improved much.
You can use EMT as a fault return path with no need to install a wire type equipment grounding conductor, but, as soon as you decide to install a wire type EGC (because you feel guilty if you don't) then it's 1 into the box, 1 out of the box, 1 jumpered to the box, an extra wire nut in the box, sometimes a jumper to the device in the box, but sadly no jack in the box. :(