Using Receptacles and Snap Switches as a termination point.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Technically, the handle-tie requirement makes the pig-tailing unnecessary.

Are you saying that the handle tie for an MWBC removes the problem that pigtailing the neutral is supposed to solve, or are you saying that the handle tie on the MWBC removes the code requirement for pigtailing the neutral?

garbo

I prefer pigtailing but have to be carefully when you have three cables in a single gang box while performing box fill calculations. Having just two extra wire nuts instead of pigtailing could pass the cubic inch capacity needed.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I prefer pigtailing but have to be carefully when you have three cables in a single gang box while performing box fill calculations. Having just two extra wire nuts instead of pigtailing could pass the cubic inch capacity needed.
??
I don't ever remember counting the number of wire nuts in a box in relation to wire fill. Has it changed lately?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
When it comes to the bare grounds, pig tailing is more about exceeding the number of conductors you can cram in a wirenut.

Jap>

I do it either way, depending on nothing in particular, maybe how I'm feeling at the moment.
I mix it up too. Partly depends on the type of devices and commercial vs resi. I tend to like to pigtail in commercial but often will not pigtail in resi. My main commercial client we installed tons of quads (two gang duplex) my favorite there is to pigtail the In-N-Outs with stranded to go to the devices, makes putting the devices in nice nice not having to fight the solid, and we use good grade receptacles that have the clamps so the stranded is easy to make up on the device.

Reactions: jap