Using remote-controller breakers in standard panel; code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Scenario is that we need to retrofit lighting controls in existing buildings.

Rather than install new contactors in a separate enclosure, i'm looking to use Square D Powerlink circuit breakers connected to a timer using a 24Vdc transformer instead of the Powerlink controller.

The question is, by code, can I mount the 24Vdc transformer in the panelboard enclosure, or in a separate enclosure and run control wires back to the breakers? I'm unsure where to look in the NEC.

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
Any I have done had a bus mounted power supply in the panel

When I had to bring low voltage into the controller in the panel Square D provided a flexible tube to keep the class 2 wiring away from power wiring.

I have never seen them retofit so I am interested if it can be done.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
same here. . . .

you can buy the power supply from square D, but it's made to be used with their connectors, and it also has the controller power supply, so the cost of it isn't necessary for what i'm looking to do.

I called square D and spoke to powerlink tech support, and he said what i'm looking to do would work just fine, I just want to make sure i'm compliant.

still searching for answers. . .

thanks.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Using remote-controller breakers in standard panel; code?

Either will work. I ended up ordering the breakers, QOPLPS 24v power supply, two 24v KP12 relays and two intermatic 24v FM series electronic timers. The total cost for everything was about $1400 for 19 total poles. Some of these ended up being Eaton panels, and they want over $5k for the same setup. I think I'll come out cheaper putting a small QO sub-panel in alongside the Eaton panels than even doing lighting contractors. The breakers are running me about $65 per pole; lighting contractors are over $100 per pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
To add, my Eaton dealer built me up a small CHB panelboard with their BAB remote control breakers; total cost came to $725, then he called back and said Eaton will not build a panel with the remote breakers unless it's their power line power logic series with a controller..... So that came up to $6500. The loose breakers are $5k. Insane. Just an FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.