Using stripped conductor as EGC in IG circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In a restaurant we're wiring, an isolated-ground ciurcuit is specified for the point-of-sale registers, terminals, bar/kitchen printers, server, etc. We're using MC cable wherever EMT is not required.

Would it be a violation of 250.119 (2002) or anything else to use 12-3 MC, strip the entire exposed portion of the red conductor to use as the box EGC, and the green as the isolated receptacle EGC?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
See 330.112(A).

Is a bare conductor mentioned in 310.13?

I'm just tiptoeing in with that, now I'm tiptoeing back out again, I'm probably so far off base it ain't funny.

Edit: Now laugh, because I didn't notice it was a requirement over insulated conductors. :D

iwire

Staff member
Larry IMO you may be in violation of 250.119(B).

You can only re identify grounding conductors smaller than 6 AWG in cables "Where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation,"

It would be up to the AHJ / inspector to decide if those conditions exist.

I suggest you order 12/2 IG MC, it is readily available in my area and it has two insulated green grounding conductors one of which has a yellow stripe.

Another suggestion is to order 12/2 Hospital grade AC, (if AC cable is acceptable) the armor can serve as the 'dirty' ground and the insulated green can serve as the 'clean' ground.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
You can only re identify grounding conductors smaller than 6 AWG in cables "Where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation,"
How does one define such conditions? If there is an issue later on, and the restaurant owner will call me in, does that qualify?

Otherwise, how can anyone ascertain that only qualified persons will service any installation?

iwire

Staff member
Larry I really do not know, I understand your point entirely, it's not like the restaurant owners are going to service the electric work themselves.

That said I take it to mean a building under full time maintenance and supervision more like an industrial situation with in house maintenance workers.

However that is just my opinion and means nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.