Utility concern - voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I just returned from doing some "freebie" work for my relatives in southeastern Massachusetts.

While I was there, they complained that their appliances that contain heating elements take a long time to warm up. So I took a few measurements, and sure enough, their "normal" voltage is 112. I took some more readings at peak demand time and it dropped to 107-108. :eek:

They are located at the end of a culdesac in a semi-rural area, a few miles in from the h.v. lines on the main road. To make matters worse, the town is a former farm town that is expanding rapidly with new home construction and development. I suspect the grid is being strained to capacity.

So, what are some options for a solution here?

The serving utility is Massachusetts Electric, part of National Grid.

jtester

Re: Utility concern - voltage drop

peter d
First be sure you read the voltage at the service. Most utilities are required to keep the voltage at the service to 120 volts +/- 5%. Not all are, but most. If the service voltage is regularly below 114 volts call the utility and see what they say,

If your voltage drop is in the house, the utility isn't responsible, that's why reading at the service is important.

Jim T

hank1

Peter, I had a situation where I was getting low voltage/ fluctuating voltage and sometimes one phase would drop out under a lighting load. It turned out to be a loose connection in the meter pedestal. I noticed a slight tan color where the connection started to heat up.

Hank

bonding jumper

I could say the transformer feeding his culdesack is overloaded. A larger transformer may be a solution. If its not overloaded, He could also be the last customer on a transformer that serves multiple other customers. In this case, an additional transformer can be installed closer to the house. If the secondary (what we may call primary, 4160 or whatever) has a long run to his transformer and is experiencing voltage drop, then additional transformers will do no good, a Tap setting could be changed in the existing to step up the voltage. It could also be a combination of the 3. Call the utiltiy and complain. Keep callin and eventually they will do somthing about it, one or two calls won't do the trick and if a neighbor is experiencing the same and they call that will speed up the process. Squeeky wheel gets the oil. POCO dosn't really care. Of course the other posts should be taken into consideration first, as far as making sure the problem isn't on your side of the meter.

[ December 09, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: bonding jumper ]

reynoldsk

That is true. POCO's get in troubles by the regulatory authority for too many open tickets.

peter d

Thanks for the tips. This is most definitely a utility problem.

I forgot to mention that they are the very last home on their transformer. I didn't spot where it was but I will next time. (I have to go back to do more work.)

My advice was as bonding jumper said, to complain about it to the poco.

108 volts seemed awfully low to me!!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.