utility poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone know how deep most utility poles are in the ground? I have to do some digging around one and Im just curious how deep they are in the ground.

No worries, no matter what, the powerlines will hold it up.:smile:

I've dug down 3-4' beside them and haven't hit bottom yet.:wink:

charlie

Does anyone know how deep most utility poles are in the ground? I have to do some digging around one and I'm just curious how deep they are in the ground.
I do not believe the answers you are getting. Look at the pole brand to see how tall the pole actually is instead of guessing. Then take 10% the height of the pole and add two feet. A 35'-5 pole should be set 5? feet deep. A 65'-2 pole should be set 8? feet deep.

If you are digging around a pole, you should be contacting the pole owner for guidance instead of weakening the soil and causing it to fall.

charlie

American Electrician's Handbook recommends setting poles 1/5 th the length of the pole in the ground.
Electric utilities do not follow the American Electrician's Handbook but they do install poles correctly. I suspect the reason for a greater depth is that electricians do not normally set poles and don't normally tamp properly. I don't have them at my fingertips anymore but there are actual standards that state what I just posted. That little formula holds true until you get into transmission size poles somewhere around 85' or 90' tall. :smile:

quogueelectric

I just went by the auger depth and if the pole was bigger I tried to set it a little a little deeper to be safer. I have only set and removed about a couple of dozen poles in my lifetime and mostly for temp services about 6 feet deep. I was never formally utility trained. I may have been taught this 25 yrs ago when I was in school but I can barely remember lunch now. I have never lost one and dont plan to in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.