Utility power indicator light

nizak

Looking for suggestions on setting up some type of indicator light that would show when utility power is on.

I have a customer who lives in a remote location without any neighbors, street lights, etc. It’s difficult for her to know when utility power has been restored.

She has a portable generator she uses with a load center interlock.

Is it code compliant to just tap off one leg ahead of the main breaker for 120V and put a indicator light next to the load center?

Thanks

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
IMHO, I would just install an led lamp next to panel. Also, since most meters are smart meters, one could also look at the smart meter. 🙂

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
As I understand the OPs post is that the customer turns Off her Main when the generator is used. Interlocked. She has no power to tap from unless they make a connection prior to the Service disconnect.

Better way would have been to have the Gen run only a small subpanel with the needed loads and leave the Main breaker on. Hindsight.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Any tap 'ahead of the main' needs to be itself suitable as service equipment; with suitable OCPD and the like. It certainly can be done.

I've used (only once) and like the reliance controls sensor described in post 4. Essentially it is a 'non-contact' voltage sensor built into a box with a loud buzzer. You wrap the sense wire around the outside of one of the mains cables; there is no galvanic connection to the mains conductor, just induction through the insulation.

-Jon