Utility Workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

I'm trying to get into public electrical utility work (Ex: Lineman). Any feed back, on how I may be able to get in, without all the politics would be nice!!! I wish i knew someone, so I can have a chance!!! I'm in Washington State. Feel free to PM me, if this tread gets closed. :)

mivey

Many tech schools now offer a introductory courses in lineman's school. These are often designed in cooperation with the local POCOs. That might be an option in your area but I do not know.

You could always drop by the POCO and speak to some of the linemen or foremen. Most are regular guys and easy to talk to.

beanland

Utility Work

Utility Work

Utilities seldom run apprenticeships any more; that would have been the way to get into the system; start at the bottom. You might be able to get on with a private line construction company to get the training needed but that will require lots of moving around to follow the work. There are some training schools around; find one used by your local utilities and see if you can piggyback your training with classes run for utility employees.

jbelectric777

Find your local IBEW shop and call the business manager. Ask if you can come and sign up or when they are accepting applications for apprenticship, you need a high school diploma and must have alegebra knowledge. Even the private line contractors are union and they make darn good money. Tell the BA you want lineman not inside wireman. Good Luck I hope you like it, I did some line work in the 90's changing crossarms and some PM on distribution sub stations, the creosote (forgive spelling) is a mother if you get it in your eyes and working in the freezing weather and baking sun kinda stinks but if thats what ya want good for you, I guess you have no interest in inside wireman ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Perhaps an apocryphal story but I was told once by a ComEd lineman that when he started they had tests you had to take and pass to get accepted as a lineman trainee. One of them involved making sure you were able to handle heights. I gather there were different versions of the test but one of them apparently involved a small platform hanging from a crane. The candidate would get in at ground level and they would crane him up to 100 feet in 10 foot increments. I was told only about 1 in ten made it to 100 feet.

donf

Memories

Memories

Back when I was 20 something, I went through "Ma Bell" lineman school in Westchester, NY.

One of the exercises was quite simple, we were given a Medicine Ball and told to climb the poles. The object of the exercise was to rapidly pass the medicine ball rapidly between other trainees while we were on the poles. As we got better, the height got increased.

God, I wish I had the leg muscles now that I had back then!

resistance

Thanks for the great information! I've been doing my research, and it seems very complicated to get in. I'm starting to say the heck with it!!!! One company will require the potential to climb poles, and must be able to withstand heights up to 100 feet (Easy for me, I don't have a problem with heights). All of them require algebra, and depending on the field of work, and CDL. Yet, all the other requirements seem political. I feel I made a ?major? mistake when I became a residential electrician/administrator/ and contractor!! Obvious to see that to make good money you need to either go Industrial/Commercial (With certifications, or some training in PLC?s). Or just get in with a POCO---meaning get the training you need in the selected field of utility work. I wish I could start over!!!! Now I?m at a lost!!! The residential field isn?t working out as a business. Nor is looking for work!!! To think, I was very proud of the test I took and passed (I guess I can still proudly say I passed the first time?with help from some of you, and others), only to find-out it?s worth nothing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.